12

{ Anaela }
*too many trigger warnings to count 🤸🏽
I sat with Pouty at lunch. I hadn't even seen her the entire day, she appeared out of nowhere. "Can we go to the library to talk?" Pouty asked me. "Sure." I grabbed my tray and walked with her. Today was still a good day despite the morning I had with my mother. None of my friends knew that she came down from Canada today and frankly, I don't know if I'll tell them. It'll bring upon too many thoughts and questions that I wonder even myself.

We sat down in our little nook in the library. Two bean bags stuffed between two shelves. Those were the two aisles least used, with heavy books and ancient knowledge.

"What happened?" I asked my friend, sitting down as she fell into my arms and sobbed into my chest. "We're moving, Anaela."

"Siara," I whispered. "He's moving military stations. We have to go. It's been years, I thought I'd be done with high school before we had to move again. Shit, the last time we moved I still could come here to this school."

"What are we gonna do without you Pouty?"

I thought of all the kind favors she's done for me over the years without me even having to ask. Pouty had one of those good hearts that not even the world could corrupt. "Did you talk to your boyfriend?" I teased, trying to bring light to the situation. She sat back from me and brought her knees up to her chest.

"He is not my boyfriend. And yes I did. I told him it would be better off if we didn't talk. He's a boy. A teenage, high schooler. He isn't gonna wait for me to come back when I can, or wanna do long distance. He's gonna see the females here and want that and more."

I looked down at my black shoes.

"When are you gonna tell everybody?" I asked.

Pouty sighed, "I was hoping we could all come over to your house so I could tell everyone all together. But the others who aren't here...," she said.

"They're not even....here. I wish they were. I'll try texting them until the end of the day. They might be able to show up then. I'll tell them it's important." Pouty nodded, wiping her nose on her sleeve. "It's gonna be okay, Pouty. If no one else talks to you after this I will, Siara. I promise," I told her.

"So are you finally gonna tell me?" Pouty asked, smiling a little at me.

"Tell you what?" I asked.

"Don't you have a crush on me, Anaela?" Pouty asked with a little laugh. My eyes widened. "No, I- You thought that? I'm so sorry, Pouty. I'm so sorry."

Pouty laughed, "No, no. I like dudes, but like, I thought you were always closer to me because you liked me, Anaela." I shook my head laughing too, "No, no. I've only liked you as a friend." Pouty looked relieved, "Okay good, because I didn't want our friendship like strained or nothing."

"I'll FaceTime you every day before school and afterwards. And any time that I have free time," I promised her. "Anaela," Pouty kissed me on the cheek. "You're a great friend."

"I do have something to tell you when we get to my house though. I'll walk you from your last class to my house. I'll tell everybody to arrive like at 3:30.

"Damn, what do you have to tell me? Your life story?" Pouty laughed, then quieted down when she saw my face. "Oh."

"Yeah," I sighed. "I'm only going to tell you though. I'd rather not tell everybody else and have to see them everyday."

"Your secrets are safe with me," she hugged me again.

"I'll try to um, clean up and set some food out for when hopefully everybody comes."