19

[ Valentine ]

I had text Anaela to come by the park near my house so we could discuss Dom's new employment with her. She hadn't answered yet. Sometimes it was difficult to remember that she was still in school. I sat in my car tapping my hands on the wheel. I need to start thinking of a way to make some money. Teece no longer can really help, I have to hide Dom for now, and although Anaela told me she'd drop any charges that would arise with this Keris case- I still need something to pay the bills.

Hopefully Anaela and I could arrange some form of payment type too. I know what to do to get the cash, and I have to take care of my friend until she's physically and mentally stronger.

My phone rung and I looked at the caller ID. Anaela. "Hey," I answered, suddenly self conscious of how my voice sounded. "Hey. I saw your text. Is it possible if you could just come over to my house? You can bring Dom, it doesn't matter. I'm sure she wants to get out of her imprisonment anyways."

"Okay," I agreed, pulling out of the parking lot of the park. I kept my eyes away from the spot I shot Keris and her cousin. There's no time to think about that anymore, no time to be regretful. What's done is done. I'm surprised I haven't heard about it through the neighborhood. Would it look too suspicious if I moved away from the park? Said that I couldn't stand to live where Keris got killed at.

My thing is, who removed the "crime scene"? If it was Keris' family, I wouldn't know she was dead. After all, no one's reached out to me about her and I haven't left any evidence that I went to check on Keris. Why would I?

She's my ex.

I suppose I should get a lawyer just in case Anaela doesn't want to keep the charges at bay. I swung back around to my house and saw the lights were still on. Good. I only told Dom to turn them off if something bad had happened, even one light off meant a lot, that I could view from outside the house. I pulled up closer to the warm glow of light, parking my car and casually exiting it.

I went up to my door and unlocked it, turning the knob, and noticing a smell coming from inside. I closed the door and looked around, but my nose realized that it was just food cooking. I went to find Dom in the kitchen, whipping something up.

"I didn't know you could cook," I commented, watching her flip a combination of vegetables and chicken in a skillet. "Yeah, you learn a lot when you have to take care of yourself..mostly. Any Amber Alerts?" she asked with a blank face.

"No," I lied, knowing I hadn't checked. There probably weren't any anyways though. "You can watch the news if you want, just on a low, low volume. They might mention something about Keris or you and we need to keep our eyes and ears open," I told her. I leaned against the counter, "I mentioned the money thing to Anaela. She wants me to swing by her place, she said you can come over if you want but you don't need to be there for us to discuss everything."

"I'm actually a little tired. It's hard cleaning up this place and cookin. How do you live like this?" Dom asked me, shaking her little head. "Hey, hey. I've had a lot going on recently. Look, just stay low," I repeated what Anaela said to me, "I'll be back home after I leave Anaela's. It shouldn't take too long."

"Okay," Dom sighed with a slight attitude.

I frowned, this time not mad but concerned. I needed to be here for Dom too because she's been through a lot emotionally. I also don't need her cracking on me and calling the cops.

I left my apartment and got back into my car, heading over to Anaela's place across town.