51

[ Valentine ]

After making out, Anaela went to the shower and I laid across the bed thinking about my next move. Okay, I know I'm going to Houston because I have to make sure Anaela's safe but how am I going to make this work?

There's no way Anaela's mom is going to let me leave Wisconsin, let alone this town, unless I'm with Anaela. And there's no way Anaela would allow me to go back to Texas.

There has to be a way around this.

"Marielle," I whispered.

I could offer Marielle something in exchange for her sneaking me out of Wisconsin on a private flight to Houston. But what if Anaela calls back and wants to know about Teece or me? Or wants to FaceTime? She'll freak.

I rose up, hearing her exit the shower.

Whenever she leaves, I'll leave too. Maybe Teece can help with my planning. I left the bedroom and went to find my best friend. I think it was about time we had our own private conversation anyways.

"Teece," I called out, looking for my best homie. She rolled out of nowhere, damn near scaring me. "Wassup?"

"I need your help with something," I told her, then cocked my head back towards my bedroom. "What?" her eyebrows furrowed. I grabbed ahold of the back of her wheel chair and began pushing her out the back door into the backyard.

"Where are we going?" she asked cautiously. I guess nobody had too much trust in me nowadays, but I suppose that's rightfully so. "I want to think of a way to get out of here and to Houston without Anaela or her mother knowing."

"Easy. Marielle," Teece said simply.

"See, I knew we'd think the same way. Okay, but what do I bribe her with? I hold no power."

Teece laughed at my statement as we huddled in the corner of the desolate back yard. I sat next to her chair on the burned grass, looking up at my friend for a chance. "Tino, you own half of what Anaela inherits. You have power and rank. Grant her, like, some extra time off, I don't know. Something to win her over," my friend suggested.

I nodded my head, "Yea. We can work on that later but I also wanna talk to you about something else," I prompted. "About raging on you that other day."

"And breaking my legs," Teece added with a raise of an eyebrow. "And breaking your legs," I guiltily agreed. "I really lost my temper and that's no excuse for treating my best friend like that. You mean a lot to me, and no love interest should ever get in the way of a true friendship."

"About that," Teece sighed. She stared at her feet. "I think that we should just be friends for now. Best friends seems like too strong of a title to have to uphold," she tried to laugh it off. "I think we'd be better as just friends," she finished tentatively.

I looked down at my lap. "Is it because I broke your legs?"

"That's a large factor, Tino," Teece chuckled. "And it has to do with trust."

"All this talk about trust but any of us would lie to get where we need to be," I frowned.

"I just think that distance from friend to best friend is what our relationship needs right now until I decide otherwise," she said simply.

"So...what does that mean then?" I asked, looking up at her.

"What do you mean, what does that mean, Tino?"

"Do we not hang out as often? Are we less close?"

"Best friends is just a title, Tino. Neither of us have to change or conform to a title or label."

"Hey, I was looking for you," Anaela poked out her head from the back door. "Y'all wanna order some food?"

"I'm craving some McDonald's," Teece rubbed her belly, rolling towards my girlfriend.

Huh, I guess that means "end of discussion"?

We were just finishing up our food when Anaela's mother called. Teece and I shared a look. "Do you know when Marielle will be stopping by again?" I asked smoothly. Anaela dumped her trash in the can and looked back at me. "No. Why?"

"I just had a few requests," I said lightly. "Don't worry about it. Just tell her to stop by."

Anaela nodded slowly, seeming to be trying to make sense of my request. "Okay. Well, my stuff is already packed." She hesitantly walked towards me and fell into my arms. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too," I whispered back.

She pulled back and I stared at her familiar eyes, the way her mouth curved into the cutest smile. Anaela turned her head to look over at Teece. "Maybe once I get back I'll find you walking."

"Hopefully so," Teece smiled stiffly. "There's a lot of work that has to be done."

Anaela went to her room to get her things and Teece shot me a look. "You still doin it?"

I nodded, tapping my foot. What if Anaela forgot to tell Marielle to stop by? What if Marielle wasn't available?

Anaela came out of the room with her stuff, offering us a short smile before leaving out the front door. I watched the car pick her up, wondering if what I was about to do was going to be the right thing.

"Isn't that Marielle's number on the fridge?" Teece asked randomly. I went into the open kitchen and pulled out my phone. It was in fact Marielle's number. I leaned my forehead against the fridge as I looked down to type in the digits.

Marielle picked up on the first ring.

"Hey," she answered.

"This is Valentine. I need a favor."