16

{ Anaela }

I woke up to Ria tapping me again. "Ri-a," I said warningly. My legs hurt, damn. I am not going back to volleyball practice with you."

"Pleaseee. I'll tell you about the shower sex on the way to school." As soon as she said "school", my mind plunged me down the darkest path. It was like I couldn't see, like I couldn't feel: I was suspended in dark waters and I couldn't breathe. I could hear Ria speaking to me but I couldn't communicate. I felt so closed in, like I needed to stretch, to let my body have some space.

"Ariana!" I screamed out.

I was kicking. I was drowning.

"Anaela!" Ria shouted, bringing me back to reality. She had slapped me. My cheek stung as my heart nearly beat out my chest. I was covered in sweat now and I looked up, terrified at my friend. "Are you okay?" she asked gently, stepping down to her knees besides my bed.

"Just a- a bad dream. I'm stressed about..Pouty leaving," I told her smoothly. I sat up, holding my chest. On top of my anxiety, I was always scared that my heart would fail me. I can't get deathly scared all day and expect my heart to be able to handle this. This was just too much to expect a teenager body to handle. Ria helped me up, watching me with a concerned expression.

"I'm sorry about what I said the other day..about you not being sick. I have no right to judge or diagnose you," she said softly.

"It's fine," I whispered. I needed to throw up. "Please help me," I whispered again. Ria quickly rushed me to the toilet as I heaved into it, unwillingly gripping the seat and holding my head over the mouth.

"Do I need to..call an ambulance, Anaela?"

"No, no," I wiped my mouth with my hand. I looked at my hand like I hadn't expected the puke to get on them. I slowly stood without assistance of my hands, going over to the sink and using my cleanest hand to turn on the water. I washed my arms and my face, avoiding Ria's eyes.

"What did you talk to Dom and that girl about?" Ria asked, watching me clean myself up. I sighed, "Ways to keep her hidden until she's 18."

Ria shook her head, "At least Sissy's back. We can keep her from going around acting like a hooligan."

"She's a handful," I smirked.

"I feel like you'll take Pouty's position in our group. You'll be like our glue, our motherly figure," Ria commented. "No one will ever replace Pouty," I said lightly, our eyes meeting in the mirror before I turned around. "You going to school today?" she asked.

I thought about it. I have to push through. "Yeah, just give me a minute." Ria nodded and left the bathroom, checking her phone.