45

[ Valentine ]

I had slept for most of the flight. An attendant woke me up, seeing that I was one of the last few passengers lingering on the plane. I groggily got my things and made my way out of the flying craft. I searched around for Anaela, like she would be willingly waiting on me when I remembered what an asshole I had been.

Gosh, I shouldn't have been drinking. I held my forehead like the hangover I deserved was coming in, but I felt perfectly fine. I was such an asshole yesterday, or whatever time it was. Anaela didn't deserve that.

I walked slowly through the heavy crowds, trying to see where I would find Teece and Dominique waiting. My heart sunk. I had been a dick to everybody; I'm sure they were all congregated around talking about how they should poison me or some shit. Why do I always have to do dumb shit?

I texted Dominique, but there was no response. Maybe she had forgotten to turn back on her phone after the plane ride, but somehow I doubt it. After awhile of feeling stupid looking at everyone's face that I could see, I went to claim my baggage.

That was where I saw a cop surrounded by others and Dominique.

"Shit," I cursed a little to loudly.

A black officer looked up from his radio and locked eyes with me. Something about me must have looked guilty because he quickly began to make his way towards me. I kept my shit in my arms as I pushed my way through people with my luggage, trying to reach the front door. All of the cops had been around him, there's no way anybody could stop me from leaving.

A random person darted out in front of me and tried to halt me. "That's your authorities chasing you. Respect them!" some older white guy chastised out of nowhere.  I pushed him aside and ran out.

I could hear some people loudly cheering for me over the panic of others, inside of the airport. I made a split second decision and darted off to my right. Moments later as I turned the corner, I heard loud feet slapping against the hard pavement, exiting the front doors of the airport.

"Get in!" somebody yelled.

I looked to the side and saw Teece and Anaela in a car. Anaela was driving and Teece was holding her door open for me. I threw my bags in the back and climbed over my homie into the Jeep.

I looked back as the airport cops stopped their chase, one writing down our license plate number quickly. "What about Dominique?" I asked once I was settled into my seat behind Teece. "The one by the cops was a demo Dominique. Somebody paid to look like her while she got off the plane. She's already at the hotel we're at. Apparently she's been making herself a big name amongst missing people."

"Fuck," I whispered, swiping at my forehead.

"Maybe if you didn't fall asleep on the plane, you would have known the plan," Anaela said in a neutral tone. "Why didn't you wake me up?" I asked, my body still high on adrenaline.

"Maybe because that isn't my job. The flight attendant got you up just fine," Anaela said coolly. "Anaela," I sighed, remembering our fight and all the shit I had done. "We should head back soon, I don't want Dominique alone at the hotel in case anybody there gets suspicious," she stated, as if she weren't driving.

"Maybe now's a good time for us to all talk," I prompted, chewing on my lip. I watched Anaela's expression in the mirror. "I need to focus on the road."

"Agreed. I don't want to die in an accident," Teece piped up. I turned my attention on my best friend, although I'm sure that wouldn't gain me any points with my girlfriend.

"How are...your legs?"

"You should apologize," Anaela cut in.

"Anaela, I didn't mean to make ou-

"No, for breaking your best friend's legs."

I gasped silently, guilt burrowing it's way into my heart. "Oh shit, Teece. I was drunk. I was worried about Anaela. I'm sorry," I pleaded.

"It's always something, isn't it, Tino?" Teece laughed harshly. "Let's get back to the hotel so I can soak my body. I have a lot to heal from."