46

{ Anaela }

We were back at the hotel, our things still unpacked, as we enjoyed some light snacks. My mother had called again. Everybody had been avoiding the topic of conversation, so my new ring tone startled us.

"Hello?"

"I got the place ready. Some people will be taking you from your room to the car. You're gonna be leaving out a different way than the main entrance, so don't feel weird about that." I was a little surprised. Was that a hint of caring in my mother's voice?

"How's the case going?" I asked, ignoring myself. "I'm still trying to smooth things over for you. I haven't even gotten a chance to start with Valentine and Dom's situations."

"I really appreciate all of this, Mom. We all do," I said, feeling guilty for running off. Maybe this is how Dominique felt. "I'm just glad you're," my mother audibly sighed, "safe."

"Me too," I chuckled.

"I'll update you on any further information. You guys will be lying low in Wisconsin. A small, rural town where I have a mini headquarters. Nobody will be allowed in or out with my permission: make that known."

"Yes ma'am," I sighed.

"Once all of this has cleared over I'm not sure if any of you will be able to go back to Houston," she added tentatively.

"What?" I frowned. I hadn't even thought about that. School, my life back home, everything. But, I guess things were different without leaning on my old friend group. Who would I hang out with? What if Pouty dropped by and bad things happened? What if the whole school despises me now?

My mother sighed, "There's a lot to discuss concerning Houston. But you very well might end up...We should talk about it another time. Just stay safe."

She hung up before I could say another word. "So what's the verdict?" Dominique asked. It seemed like she was the only one brave enough to talk to me nowadays. I guess it's because she's wronged me the least- at least not too harmfully in the past. "People are coming to get us in the hotel to lead us to a car. Then we're going to a small town in Wisconsin where my mother has a headquarters set up. Nobody's allowed to leave that place or come in without her permission, she said."

I fiddled with my hands on the last part, "And no one's allowed back to Houston, at least for now, until things are smoothed over for all of us."

"Well isn't that great," Valentine sighed, then clamped her mouth shut. We all glared at her, like she hadn't caused a majority of this mess. "What about that Meyerland deal you still have to help with? Will you have to go back for that?" Valentine asked, trying to take the focus off of her misdoings. I rubbed my forehead. I hadn't even thought of that in forever. A deal was a deal.

"I suppose, but I'm sure that's once my mother gets things more smoothed over and we're settled here in Wisconsin."

"Dang, life without Houston," Valentine mumbled, looking out the window. "I don't know how we'll do it, but we have to," I told the group, looking around at these tired people.

"I guess now's a good time to have that discussion before the people come, huh?" I asked, sitting down on the bed. Valentine looked away, but Teece held my gaze. "I think a lot of things need to be cleared up so that we can all move forward. We're all on the run here and being separate and not having a team mindset will be our downfall. After all, we should also be more grateful towards Anaela because her mother is helping us all."

I smiled a little. Sucking in a breath, I turned to Dominique. "You first?"