54

{ Anaela }

You know, I don't know whether I should be mad at Valentine or appreciative. Some times she acts like she lacks common sense but then she explains her actions and I realize she only has good intentions. The thing about loving or liking a broken person is that you have to understand their ways and compare them with yours so that you guys can communicate effectively.

Obviously I haven't mastered the elements of relationships, I don't think anyone has despite all the relationship advise books out there and the talk shows. All I know is to follow my heart and to talk to Valentine.

If we understand each other and where we're coming from, sometimes making certain decisions are easier. So yeah, maybe if Valentine had came back to Houston for a different reason I'd be pissed off, but I know she came here with good intentions because she cares. There's not too many people I can say for sure that have cared about me from my past to now. I'd like to think of Valentine as someone from my past and my future.

I found the door and leaned against the wall, preparing myself to go in. What are we even discussing? Did they know I was coming? Were they the ones talking about Valentine and I? What the fuck is a teenager gonna discuss in an adult world?

I felt so lost, but I was glad Valentine was here. Maybe not physically next to me, but somewhere nearby, possibly taking a warm crap. I took a picture of the door and text Valentine the floor number before knocking.

A lady with wild 70s curls and smudged eyeliner opened the door. I couldn't tell what her race was, but my guess was something Middle Eastern or island. She was skinny straight down, short, and she had on typical business clothes. She smiled warmly at me and opened the door wider for me to see a large office space with the scent of coffee brewing somewhere inside.

"Welcome. I'm Shanice Correz."

I closed the door behind myself and gave the woman my best smile. "Anaela Hampshire. I'm here on behalf of my mother's...organization."

"Please sit," the woman gestured to a chair before her wide desk. I passed up the wall length window, a view of the boring skyline. The chair was soft and comfortable. I sat my brief case on my lap and crossed my legs at the ankle. Is this what being an adult is?

"I'm here as the legal medium between your family's. We're waiting for the Stone family representative to arrive."

I get it now, I'm a family representative too. I hadn't even thought of it that way. "Is it alright if I have someone join us?"

There was a knock at the door, and the woman didn't answer me. I assumed it was Valentine so I rested in my chair as the lady went to answer the door.

"Hello. Melissa Stone, to you. Enchanté, madame."

I turned in my seat. A tall chocolate woman with hair the same color as her skin straightened in a left side part, with business attire and high black heels entered. She almost reminded me of the woman Keris' family sent, but that was too long ago in my bad memory to remember.

"Hello. Anaela Hampshire," I greeted her.

"Shanice Correz," the legal medium said as she sat back down at her desk. Ms. Stone sat in a chair besides me, and laid her brief case across her lap as well.

"Now that we are all here. Coffee anyone?" Ms. Correz asked. "I'm good. I've had my fill of coffee for today," I laughed lightly. Ms. Stone peered over at me, "So young. How old are you, girl?"

"17," I answered.

She tsked, "Hardly an adult. Kenasha sent her seed."

"Perhaps Mrs. Hampshire had other business to attend to," Ms. Correz suggested, grabbing some cream and sugar for her fresh cup of coffee.