56

{ Anaela }

We pulled up to the restaurant at 6:40. The place was crawling with Valentine's family. I almost felt unsure about coming. What if this had all been a set up? I feel unfamiliar and weird around other people's families.

Valentine went around and opened the door for both me and my mother. My mom smiled slightly. I hadn't seen her look so gorgeous in forever. She was so vibrant and happy.

I hope it wasn't because of Valentine's aunt.

I wore a plaid mini dress and black boots, with my hair in two braids down my back. Valentine held my hand as we walked into the restaurant. She had on some of my mom's dress pants we found and one of my mom's grey dress shirts. "...whole place booked just for us," a younger girl was telling two boys. "So y'all can't say you didn't get to play with-

We entered the dining area and all eyes turned to us. "I feel like we're at a wedding," I leaned towards Valentine's ear, whispering. "Valentine!" a woman ran towards us, wearing a red dress and red lipstick.

"Mom," Valentine whispered, breaking down into tears as they embraced. She held my hand as they hugged and I awkwardly stared. "I'm Anaela," I held out my free hand to Valentine's mother. "Quinn Booker. I'm Valentine's mom."

"So you're the one who snatched her away," she grinned, swiping tears away from her eyes. I laughed a little, "We may have gotten into a bit of trouble."

Valentine's mom swatted her daughter and my girlfriend laughed. "Come sit down. They're bringing the food out in a few minutes." We followed her mother to the table, stopping every once in awhile to chat. "Anaela," someone greeted me. I frowned, trying to figure out who I would know here.

I turned and saw a girl the splitting image of me minus eye color and skin tone. "Hello?"

"I'm one of your cousins. Never got to meet you but I've heard so much about you."

"Yeah, yeah. Ain't you Resha's baby?" Valentine's mom asked the girl. "Yeah, I'm Cali." I blinked, trying to make sense of this. "So, you came with someone from my family?" Valentine asked, noticing how things were fitting together like I was.

"No. I got family here."

"What do you mean?" I asked slowly.

The girl looked at me like I was crazy, "Valentine and I are distant cousins. That makes you and her first cousins. Duhh."

I immediately dropped Valentine's hand and started to run off towards the bathrooms, gagging. All laughter and talking died down as everyone watched me run to the bathroom. I could hear disapproving comments already, and I knew Valentine was chasing behind me.

Valentine and I are...related?