8

{ Anaela }

"Anaela. Wake up," Ria shook me.

I slipped out of a dream about my mother coming to talk to me. It was only a dream, that selfish woman wouldn't come and see me. Although, she could get in with the house key and take this all away from me. Friends, my home, my school. She holds too much power over me.

I frowned, getting up with energy I didn't know I could have when it was still dark out. Maybe I'd have courage to get up for school everyday if I woke up at this time. Ria was standing by my bedside, waiting for me to come to out of my drowsiness. I grabbed my phone and looked at the time. I scowled over at Ria.

"Why are you up so early?"

"I'm exercising with the volleyball team," Ria smirked, with a little blush. "And you need to come with me because I don't want to make it obvious that I'm there to see just one girl. Cause...the coach might not lemme come back if I'm a distraction."

"You are a distraction," I rolled my eyes. "Fine Ria, but you're buying me breakfast. Am I working out too or what?" I snapped at her.

"Yes," Ria grinned, doing a little happy dance. "Betta be lucky I like you. Why don't you invite Reneah too," I suggested. "Nahh, Reneah would kill me if I woke her up at this time. I have to tip toe around the house when I get up to exercise or everybody there will wanna start a commotion."

"One day you should sneak over to Reneah's house and wake her up. I need that reaction," I chuckled. I got out of bed, feeling normal for once. It feels like forever since I could just get out of bed with no worries, no fear trying to stop my heart. I went into the shower first, since this was a one bedroom apartment.

I picked out some Adidas athletic shit since I wasn't really feeling Nike today. I wore all black with the matching Adidas track suit and some black Superstars or whatever they're called. Ria got in right after me, telling me that we were about to be running late. She said we can shower at the school or come back here but we might be ten to fifteen minutes late to our first class after practice.

Even thinking about school didn't plague me with threatening unease. Maybe some part of me had been worrying that I was pregnant or something, because what else could have caused me to be so..comfortable in life so spontaneously?

I played a game on my phone while I waited for Ria to get her life together in the bathroom. Finally, she came out looking all fresh in a typical Nike fit. "You ready?" I asked, standing up from the couch. "Yeah, lemme get my phone charger. "For what?" I asked, "you need it for practice?"

"Yeah, I get to pick the playlist," she told me as we headed out the door. "Oh lawd, we finna be hearing SZA and H.E.R and Jhené," I complained. "Why don't you like them?" Ria whined, her voice carrying through the sleeping apartment complex. I softly closed my door and locked it. "I do, but not a whole playlist of them. I'm not a slow music type of person, or singy song type of person. Or really R&B general."

"R&B gives me cookout vibes and I love it. It reminds me of family and childhood and the good times, depending on the song," Ria added with a wistful look on her face. "Well, you have fun with that. I like to hear about drugs, guns, and hoes," I laughed. "Of course you do," Ria mumbled, then checked her phone.

"Okay, let's do a light jog to the school, it'll help warm us up. And then we can get there quicker."

"To see your booooo," I sung.

"Shut up. Last one to make it to the school-

I already took off. "Run if you want to, them legs gon be hurting during practice!" Ria called out. I brushed off her advice, I know what I'm doing.

A couple of hours into practice and I obviously did not know what I was doing. I was about to collapse and people were still standing up and leaning against the wall chatting between exercises and walking to the water fountain.

I'm never doing this again. Sorry girlfriend!

"You okay? You been staring at the wall fo a minute now," Ria said coming up behind me. "Ariana, be honest with me. Is my flesh falling off the bone?"

Ria looked at me horrified, "What? Why?"

"Cause I'm dyingggg," I wailed, falling out across the ground sorely.

"No you are not," she rolled her eyes, "see, you shoulda listened earlier."

"I will bite you," I threatened Ariana playfully but seriously. "Look, there's only fifteen minutes left of practice. The girls usually practice things they need work on or shower now," Ria told me. She leaned down, "I'm gonna try to sneak into the shower with ole girl but if you going home to shower, lemme know. Ion want you walking alone."

"I'll be fine," I brushed her off. Ria helped me up onto my wobbly, sore legs. "I'm never gonna be able to walk again, Ariana."

Ria just shook her head, helping me to the door we had came in at. "Call Reneah if you see that woman again."

"Okay," I called out. I took my bag of things with me, slowly making my procession back to my apartment. The complex was finally waking up again and the crackheads were swarming out like roaches. I looked straight ahead. Don't look at them, they'll attack. I only spoke in short sentences when spoken too, don't provoke them to attack. I walked around their small camps by the homeless, don't trespass.

I safely made it to my apartment and unlocked the door. I nearly shitted myself seeing who sat on my couch. Please, not on a good day.

"Mom?" I asked, slamming the door shut behind myself and locking it.

"I came down to check up on you."

That's a first, she usually sends someone.

"How's your life? Your family?" I sneered.

"They're doing fine, as they should." She looked around in distaste at my apartment. "I can't believe I have you living out here with these...hooligans and thugs," she commented in her posh accent.

"Well, I like it here. I have friends here who care about me," I put emphasis on the "care".

"I care too, Anaela. I made you, after all," she chuckled lightly. My mother stood up, rubbing her hands together as if she were trying to warm up. "These conditions," she shook her head. "What's wrong with the gang? Is that what you need me for?" I asked, straight to the point, thinking about how late I was about to be to class.

Great, the stares.

"I have a business deal down in Meyerland that I need you to attend to," she told me. "It isn't far-

"I know where it's at. Are you gonna sign me in?"

My mother frowned, confusion etched across her youthful face. "Sign you in?" she said slowly. "I'm gonna be late, sign me in." Although I didn't need her to sign me into school, I figured a little responsibility couldn't hurt her. "I- Well. Alright."

"Are you gonna fund my trip to Meyerland and everything that comes with it. I'm only 17," I said with my arms crossed. "You don't have a job yet?" she rose an eyebrow. "I assumed teens in areas such as these..worked two."

"Didn't you come up the same way, Mom?"

"Come?" she asked, raising her brow again.

"Grow," I nearly growled.

"Yes," she said after awhile of observing me. "I will fund your trip and..sign you in. But I'll be back in Canada by midnight," she informed me. "Not surprised," I said clippedly. "I'm gonna go shower, I'll be right out."

I gestured around my apartment, "Feel at home," I said humorlessly, shaking my head.