6

{ Anaela }

"I am not pregnant Ariana," I said for the tenth time tonight. She wouldn't even let me stay alone at the house. She volunteered to stay over here with me for the rest of the school week. After having a billion anxiety attacks today at school, I was too drained to disagree.

"Just take the test, Anaela," Ria urged.

I was growing irritated and snatched the box away from my friend. At least she cared, I thought in my head. I went to my bathroom, Ria close behind. "Are you gonna watch me piss on the stick?" I flipped around. It came out more harsh than I expected. I had meant it in a light hearted way. A silly way.

"Cause if so..you freaky as hell," I tried to play off my aggression awkwardly. Ria chuckled. "No, I'm just here..for moral support." I don't even fuck with guys but I was doing this for Ria's sanity, not mine.

I closed the bathroom door and pulled down my pants. I pulled down my underwear that was sweaty from today's stressing. I forced myself to pee on the little stick after unpackaging the box.

"All the dizziness and throwing up. And saying you're sick and you're obviously not. It has to be pregnancy," Ria rambled on. The funny part would be if the test actually said that I was pregnant. "What do I do now? It's all pissy," I called out.

"Uh, hand me the box," she called back.

"Girl, I'm trying not to drip on my hands, squat, and hold the damn stick."

"Ahh, you want me to come inside?"

"That didn't even sound right. But sure," I told her. I glanced down at my underwear then at the bathroom. Yeah, nothing to embarrass me. Good. Ariana came into the bathroom and got the box off of the counter, walking back outside of the bathroom and closing the door back to how it was before.

"Okay, so......"

After we had figured everything out, we both stared at the test.

"I told you I'm not pregnant."

"So what's wrong then?" Ria asked me. I threw away the test and the box, washing my hands. I avoided eye contact with Ria and stayed quiet. "Anaela." I ignored her, going to dry my hands. She grabbed me by the wet wrists and turned me towards her. She held onto my wrists and wiped my damp hands on her shirt.

"What's wrong Anaela?" she asked calmly as she dried my hands off on her.

"I don't want people thinking that I'm weak," I said, looking away. "You're not weak. You're one of the strongest people I know, besides Pouty." Pouty. She had never text back. I didn't even see her at school today.

"I don't want to talk about it right now," I said slowly, looking up into Ria's eyes, "but I will be able to someday," I said with a small, hopeful smile. Ria looked down at me worriedly but agreed, "Whenever you're ready."

She let go of my body and headed out of the bathroom. I turned the light off behind us and followed behind. "We should have a party this weekend. To cheer you up," she smiled. "Or sneak into a club," she said daringly, eyes wild, energy ready.

Being out and about wasn't really my thing, but if it makes my friends happy. I chewed on my cheek, looking up at Ria. "Do you be switching heights?" I asked randomly, laughing. "I swear yesterday yo ass was like 5'5, and now today you 5'9."

"It be the shoes," she pointed down, laughing.

"So wait-

"I'm 5'9, but if you wearing taller shoes it feels like I'm shorter," she told me. I pouted. "But it's okay, you'll always be my little shorty," she smirked. "And you'll always be my tally," I said back.

"So who's planning this party?" I asked her, changing the subject as I leaned against my kitchen counter.

"You and me," she stated simply. "Don't you think the neighbors will be sus of a bunch of teens coming into a house. They already look at me weird. And I know they talk about me," I said quietly. A loud noise bounced off the walls of the apartments in the complex outside. It sounded like a canon but easily could be a gunshot.

"Don't worry bout dem. I know how to sneak people in," she assured me, nodding. "Yo mom was cool wit you being over?" I asked her. "Yeah, she trusts you. And me," she chuckled bitterly. "How are you doing?" I asked softly. "I miss my dad. Our family. I wish they had never gotten divorced." She looked down at the counter, seeming to play her life before her eyes.

"When they divorced it's like...he not only broke his vows to my mother, he broke his vows to us. It's like we're all split up from him. Like he's a bad off-and-on again relationship that I legally can't escape until I'm old enough to decide I don't want to see him anymore." She looked over at me sadly, then around at my place. "You're so lucky, Anaela. I don't mean to be rude but..I don't even see why you could ever be sad with such a comfortable life."

She watched me carefully, genuine confusion on her face. I forced myself to stare at her, willing all the hurt I've experienced to travel to her. I felt like crying. If this was easy to her then I'd like to know what she's been through.

"We should go to bed," I said clippedly.

I faked an obvious cough and went back up to my room. Ria already had her sleeping bag set on the floor next to the couch and some blankets and some pillows. I heard her sigh as I closed yet another person out of my life with the firm click of my bedroom door.