38

{ Anaela }

After I showered I made Dom some breakfast and decided to see how my friend was dealing with everything since Valentine was finally out of the house.

"Dom, what's been going on?" I asked tentatively, peeking up at her. Dom shrugged, eating her food silently. We stayed this way for awhile. "I know it must be a lot to process: both of your cousins dead, our friend group split, the cops looking for you, all this drama.." There really was no other way to put it.

"It is," Dom snapped at me, then sighed. "I don't wanna talk about it. I can't change the past...so there's no point in talking about it."

"Talking helps ease the hurt," I said gently.

"Anaela, no offense but what hurt do you know?" Dom questioned, setting down her fork. "I know enough. You don't have to know my full past to gauge my hurt, Dominique." I got my plate and stood up, "I was trying to be nice but if you want to be bitchy then I'll go upstairs and eat."

"Fine."

I was pissed off, but I kept my word and took my food up to my room. I don't see how Pouty handled being the glue of the group, keeping Valentine and Dominique together was hard enough for me.

My new phone rung as soon as I reached the room and I picked it up off of my bed. "Hello?" I answered, not bothering to check who the caller was.

"Anaela."

"Yes?" I asked cautiously, trying to gain a sense of who the voice belonged to. "It's your mother. This call has to be brief so that it won't be traced. One of your little high school buddies mentioned something about Dominique and Valentine while they were investigating you," she explained to me quickly.

My stomach dropped. "I- I- Who was it?"

"Why does that matter Anaela? This is a lot of money! It's gonna take a lot to cover up this mess! I don't care if Mickey Mouse had snitched. This is why I always told you not to get close to anyone-

"Is that why you and I drifted apart? Or did we even drift apart, Mom? Did you force yourself away and think spoiling me was going to get me in your favor?" I asked tightly. My mother stayed quiet for a moment. "All I wanted to know was who snitched," I said venomously.

I heard a shuffling of papers before she answered me. "Sierra Kehlani Walker," she told me in a resigned voice; like it pained her to tell me the truth for once.

"Sissy," I whispered to myself. I pulled the phone away from my ear as my mother hung up. So Sissy ghosts the whole friend group then does this to me? I gulped hard then sat down my cold food. I jogged downstairs to tell Dominique the news but I couldn't find her anywhere. I ran back to her room, then checked the bathrooms. I searched every inch of the large house until I found my way back to the front door.

It was left unlocked and I held onto both sides of the doorway as I looked out across the empty countryside.

What have I done?