15

[ Valentine ]

"How are you doing?" I asked Teece as she woke up on Thursday. She moved her mouth around for a few seconds before speaking, like the sound wouldn't come out of her mouth. Worry grew in my belly for a moment but she started snorting and laughing.

"Girl," I smacked my lips, "don't be pranking me bro."

"Broo, you know my ass gon be dead and I'll still be able to talk," she laughed. "You really thought I couldn't for a moment, huh?"

I nodded, my face sad.

"I told them not to tell me. I wanted you to tell me," Teece informed me. She looked at me for a moment. "You wanna know why, Tino?"

"Why?" I asked quietly, my question speaking a thousand volumes.

"Because you've eaten me out before," Teece chuckled, still light hearted after all of this. I missed her playful punches and ravenous diet.

"So what's the verdict, Judge Tino?"

"They're gonna try out physical therapy with you but since the bullet hit your spine..."

I had never seen Teece look so devastated and out of there. "Go on," she said in a wobbly voice. She held back tears, her hand squeezing mine as tightly as her body would allow.

"But there's a possibility you won't be able to walk again on your own." Teece blinked at me rapidly, but eventually the tears came. I held onto her as I finished the rest that the doctors had told me. "They thought you were going to be paralyzed but that quick surgery they did saved you. If I had been there sooner though..." I trailed off.

Teece randomly burst out laughing and moved back to see what had happened. "So ima be walking around with those little cane stick things that be attached to people's forearms?"

"Teece, you is wrong fo dat!" I hissed, trying not to laugh.

"Now ima know how toothpicks on marshmallows feel," she commented.

"Teece!" I screeched, covering my mouth.

"Hey, at least I'm still alive and I get to see my best friend," she smiled at me. I looked around her room, "I can bring some of your stuff here. Do you get...lonely?"

"Lonely as in I miss the chicks, yes," she laughed. I touched her arm. I know that my friend tends to joke a lot when she's down. It's a defense mechanism of hers. Many people have different ones, some healthy most not.

"I'm depressed because I'm not doing anything," she blurted out. "I've never been the type of person to not do something when something is going wrong. I might be lazy but I know when to step it up. I never liked sleeping or laying down when I was sick. I want to practice walking now, before..." she started to break down. "Before I can't anymore, Valentine."

I hugged my friend, "I'll get you started as soon as I can. I'm not gonna let them allow you to rot, Teece."

"I'll get up out this damn bed and walk myself if I have to," Teece said fiercely, tears dribbling down her chin. I held my friend, she was just strong and determined like that. I was too.