37

[ Valentine ]

I left Anaela's room sometime around the afternoon. We hadn't done anything sexual: just chilled and slept in the same bed while I caressed her thighs, and snuggled into her neck, she had recently off into a light nap.

Now I was giving her some privacy as she talked with her mother on the phone about letting me pick up Teece from the hospital. I paced the dining room, any time I needed to cool down I'd think about me and Anaela's moment earlier in here today.

"What you pacing for?" Dom asked, looking down at me from the stairs. "Anaela's on the phone with her mom," I said simply, as if that explained everything. Dominique made her way down the stairs towards me. "What's wrong with that? She needed privacy or something?"

"I'm tryna see if I can get Teece here," I admitted, feeling my shoulders sag.

"How's she doing?" Dom asked, leaning towards me on the railing. "I'm not sure yet. The hospital says she's fine but that might not actually be the case. We gotta fill her in on everything and make sure she's happy so she won't think too much about-

"She said yes," Anaela called down.

I looked up at her and nodded more to myself than to Anaela. Off to go rescue my friend. "I'll be back in probably a few hours. I'll call when we're near," I told the two. "I can't come?" Dom asked, frowning. She looked up to Anaela to see if she would object.

"No, I think me and Teece need to...come here together," I said gently. Anaela nodded in agreement. I got my things and headed outside. Anaela's mother had a car arriving in a little bit.

My mind drifted off to the long ride me and Teece will have back to the mansion. What are we going to talk about? Have we both grown differently during our time apart, personality wise? The car arrived and I nodded to the dude. "Hey, would it be cool if I drived back?" I suggested. "Drove?" he asked under his breath. "Sure, but those weren't my instructions," he said clearer.

I got into the backseat, closing the door behind myself. I buckled up and stared boredly out of the window, not bothering to see if Dominique or Anaela was watching me leave. Teece and I could run away and not have to deal with any of this drama. We could go back to what we used to do. But then, what if Keris' family or affiliates get ahold of me or my best friend? Then what can I do?

I have to pull through, Anaela is offering me protection and somewhere to stay and sometimes even money. She's extending that kindness to Teece as well, and I couldn't live with myself if I let Dominique turn to the path Teece and I took.

Hours later we were back in Houston. The drive to the hospital was quicker than I thought and suddenly Teece was being led out to the car and my palms were sweaty. The driver had typed the address of the mansion into the car and hitched a ride with someone else. It was just Teece and I now.

She sat in the front passenger seat besides me, a tired but cheerful smile on her face. "Finally out of that hellhole."

I started the car, annoyed that it was manual. "I'm glad." My flat tone hung in the air. "I'm sorry, the last few days have just been rough," I tried to explain. Light filled my heart when I thought about Anaela. At least there was  somewhat of a good outcome out of all of this. I glanced over at Teece as I took a right turn. She looked so weak and unlike my old joyful friend.

I was almost embarrassed at how much I had hyped her up to Dominique and my..girlfriend. Would they be disappointed? Guilt slammed into me: Teece is my friend, they'll understand that she's at a low point. I need to stop trying to impress people.

"A lot has happened," I repeated mindlessly.

"Like what?" Teece turned to me, eyes near empty. I looked away. "We'll be going to the mansion Anaela's mother has set up for us four," I explained. "I know," my friend said lightly, "you already told me that."

"Keris's family sent someone after me. I don't know if I told you that."

"I don't remember," Teece whispered, staring straight ahead like an inmate. "Anaela had a big fight with her friends, the cops are involved because they think that Anaela was harassing her old best friend. Basically," I said a little bit louder to catch her attention, "the cops are up all of our asses except yours."

"That's good," Teece weakly turned to me then slowly frowned. "Sorry, I wasn't listening. Was that...what were you talking about?"

"Teece what's wrong?" I asked, tears welling up in my eyes. "I just don't feel normal anymore. At least before, despite everything that I invisibly struggled with, I could hide my pain. Now everyone is free to judge me before I even tell them. I feel weak."

"You're not weak, we're gonna get you back strong again." I should shave visited Teece more, I shouldn't have let my happy friend get in such a depression. "We're?" Teece asked, looking over at me quickly. "Yes. Anaela and Dom already know so much about you. My friends are your friends."

Teece shook her head slowly, "That was old Teece. This is new Teece."

"Me and Anaela are girlfriends now," I blurted out, wanting to get her in a better mood. My friend looked over at me, tears in her eyes.

"Well good for you, Tino."