60

{ Anaela }

I found myself in front of the hospital all of the social media posts had directed me to. My mother watched me carefully. "I haven't told Valentine's mother I found you yet. Do you want me to-

"I don't want you to do anything," I told her curtly. I got out of the Jag with my dress from the other day still on. I looked like crap as I walked into the entrance of the hospital. A nurse immediately tried to get me a stretcher but I explained to her that I was there to see someone else.

"I think we need to check you out first though, sweetheart."

"I know I'm hot and all, but I don't need to be checked out," I humorlessly joked. I walked past her and found my way to the ward Tino was in. I passed two girls that looked like her. I stopped one of them. Now I could clearly see me, we had almost the same type of nose.

"Hey, where is Tino's room."

"Do we kn- Oh my gosh. You're Tino's girlfriend who's also our cousin," one of the girls gasped. I stared at them. "She's in that room down the hall," the white girl said, nodding to me. I left them, clutching the end of my dress so that my hands could be busy with something.

I didn't bother knocking. I slowly opened the door. I didn't need suspense in my life, I just wanted to know if this was Tino or not.

"Tino," I said.

She sat down a burger she was about to bite into and beckoned me towards herself happily.

"Yes. She went down this hall," I heard someone saying. Probably that nurse or clerk. I hugged her, knowing I probably smelled like stale rain and sweat. "I ran away," I told her, pulling back. "I can tell," she joked. We looked away from each other, shy.

"I-

We spoke at the same time.

"You first," I laughed.

"I think we were together because it was what we needed in the moment. I was dealing with Dominique and I was used to getting girls that I wanted, and I had just killed a person. You were dealing with an absent mom and a close friend going away and old ones coming back into your life."

I sat down in the chair besides her bed, "I think so too," I said sadly. Hearing that made all of the feelings I had felt even more clear. "It was so many amazing times but too many bad ones," I stated.

"No, she's alright. She's visiting with my sister," I heard someone say.

"Are you sure about that, Ms. Booker?"

"It's fine."

"Guess you always got people looking for you, huh?" Tino laughed. I watched her sadly, ignoring her words, "You really scared me the other day. I had never seen you like that before."

She looked down, "I wanna get help but I kind of promised my mom I would if no one could find you."

"I'll be missing enough. My mom wants to make me lead this stupid bullshit anyways," I snorted. "And I can't even see how Teece is doing."

"Speak up for yourself. Don't let her strip away your life."

"The thing is...I never really had much of one before." Teece looked confused, "You were an everyday teenager, Anaela. That is still a life too, whether you think it's boring now after all you've been through or not. It meant something to you, even if it wasn't all the best things."

"But I can't go back to that school and see those people. I can't show my face there if my mother even let me. And I'm a different person."

"So heal, and move on from here. That's what I'm going to do."

"I don't wanna argue," I whispered.

"Me neither," she whispered back with a smile.

I leaned away from her. I didn't want to be too tempted. "So I guess this is us leaving things on good terms, right?"

"It'll only be good terms if I know you're out there somewhere living your best life."

"We can still be friends," I told her seriously.

"But we should have some space. Let those old feelings die down and better ourselves. I don't want things to become toxic between us."

"How is Teece?" I asked.

"I haven't even had a chance to see. I seriously hope she's okay," Tino admitted. "Me too," I agreed. "I don't care what my mom says: you and Teece are all I've got. You're my friends."

Tino squeezed my hand, "If being a high school girl is what you think is best for you right now, do you boo."

"Please do not ever say that again," I laughed. I gave her one last sad smile, "Don't let us lose contact. I'm serious, Tino."

"I promise," she whispered, holding my gaze.

"Me too."

[ { Da End } ]

(Check out the sequel
"falling out of love"
CUMMING SOON) 🌈🌈