Story {Loki x Reader}

(Y/n) P.O.V.

My job isn't exactly hard. I clean is all. But there are certain aspects that make it harder then need me. Rude guards, uncaring nobles, all of it. The worst part is working in the prisons. Some prisoners are threaten me, others get sickening smiles on their faces that make me glad there is a cell wall between us. It's uncomfortable. Although, there is one thing I find pleasant in there. Prince Loki.

I know all the things he's done, I agree that he is a horrendous person, but something about him is fascinating. The way he stalks the cell, always quiet, as if nothing around him has an affect on him. There is only one other thing I catch him doing, and that is reading. Tonight is one of those nights.

I'm cleaning the ground near his cell when I happen to look up at him. His eyes are scanning the page of the book he holds up. I notice the title of the book, and joy instantly fills me. I can't stop myself from saying, "That is one of my favorites." He looks up at me for a moment before returning his dismissive gaze back to the page. "I find it frightfully dull." I scoff quietly. "Then you must not be far into the story. It's quite exciting. A fairytale land every child wishes they could escape to. I still wish it." Before I know it, I've stopped my work to speak.

"The beautiful rolling lands of peace and happiness, all destroyed by the warlocks curse to remove color and sound from the world. All because the warlock couldn't stand the sight of their happiness in his agony. The way the few townspeople come together to best their fear and do what is best for their country is inspiring. They braved beasts that tested their strength and wit to get to the warlock. They fought with such valor, and the author wrote everything so well, the image was so vivid in my head. And the ending! Oh, it was beautiful. The helped the warlock see the good in himself, and although it would take time, gave him a chance to redeem himself. Everything was returned brighter and louder than before."

He eyes me intently. My face heats up in embarrassment. "I apologize. I gave away the ending. But perhaps you find it the story less dull now." I look back at the ground, returning to me work. I figure I've humiliated myself. "I do." Loki finally says. "I much prefer hearing you tell it to me than reading it." I look up in surprise. I expected more of a tongue lashing or to be ignored all together. "W-Well, I'll be here for awhile if you'd like to hear another."

"That would be pleasing." He tells me, laying onto his bed. "Tell me anything you'd like." Once again, my face heats up, being out on the spot like this. I think through all the stories I've ever heard before deciding on one from my childhood. "On a realm, with gardens vaster than the ocean, there is a rainbow stone in its center. Many a man tried to reach it, never knowing what consequences would become of them..."

Months passed, and I told him a new story every night. Sometimes I make them up, just for him, other times I tell him ones I recall. I never tell him which it is, but he guesses each night anyways. He seemed different when I was around. Relaxed, happier, interested. It made me glow with pride to have more of a purpose then cleaning. Even the guards have told me, since I've been coming here, I've had a calming effect on Loki. All was well until the Queen, Frigga was killed by the dark elves. I was injured in the attack, and therefore had not been able to work for some time. Today was my first day back to it. During my time away, I had grown increasingly worried for Loki. Everyone knew of his close relationship with his mother. I hope, with little belief, that someone had been there to comfort him.

I always wait until night to go to the prisons, and today is no exception. Part of me was worried to see Loki. Would he be irrationally anger that I was away? Would he a shell of himself after the news? In either scenario, I'm not sure I could bear it. But I must, if I'd like to help him. This was my thought process of the entire day, however, when I reached his cell, there was nothing. Everything still look pristine, including himself. Loki looked indifferent and uncaring. I am filled with disgust. How could he just not care? Was his heart truly that vile? He looks at me, but I turn away. I am disappointed in myself for thinking the man in cell was anything other then heartless.

The next few nights, I ignore him. He doesn't say a word to me. Each time I have to get near him, I feel anger. I knew he always felt like he wasn't really one of the family, but to not care at all, well it would seem he is in fact the monster he claims to be. It hurt me in a way it shouldn't be. I shouldn't care so much about him. He is a lowly criminal, and nothing else. Silently, I clean the banisters around the clear wall of the cell. I can feel Loki's eyes follow my movements, but I refuse to look at him. I lift my arm a bit, and accidentally hit the wall with my elbow. It leaves a slight sting, making my let out a small cry of surprise. But that's not really concerns me.

A green wall dissipates revealing a truly pitiful sight. It makes my heart ache. Loki, looking broken and disheveled, sits against the back wall, his face stained with tears. Every piece of furniture is thrown or torn, and glass litters the floor. His foot bleed where he must have tread on it. He looks absolutely inconsolable. If I could, I'd hug him, try my best to ease his pain as much as possible. "Oh Loki." I mutter, preventing tears to fall at the sight. "Why didn't you show me?" I whisper.

He ignores my question, and says, "Tell me a story." He says it with grief. "Tell me something beautiful." He pleads. I drop the cleaning rags, and sit down as close to him as possible from the outside. "There once was a little girl, with a head full of dreams, and a heart full of joy. She sang and danced everyday, even when the world told her not to..."