Elevator {Steve x Reader}

(Y/n) P.O.V.

"Stupid Rogers...goddamn...thinks he's so....gonna snap his..." I continue to mutter profanities and threats as I practically stab the pencil through the paper. The almighty Captain Steve Rogers...Thinks he's hot shit. On our past mission, I may or may not have directly disobeyed orders, and it may or may not have been the third time. Or fourth. Or fifth. Steve usually chews me out, but I always get the job done, and clearly my judgement is working as casualties have dropped. But on the last mission I got myself grazed by a bullet. So what if I charged in? The mission was successful. The wound wasn't even enough to bench my for more then a few days, but Steve yelled at me, and put me on probation.

Desk duty. For two weeks at least.

God, I hate desk duty. I'm an action kind of person, not wither away behind a computer screen person. So yeah, to say I'm pissed at Steve would be an understatement. "Asshole thinks he so great." I hiss under my breath as I ride in the elevator. I have to bring a few files to Bruce, and it is taking all my willpower not to rip these files apart right now. It's only been two days and I've gone insane. The elevator stops, and in walks the past man I want to see. Steve. I scowl, making my distant clear, but don't say anything. His face hardens into stoicism. The ride is silent, and since the tower is so fucking tall, it feel like an eternity. "Isn't this just pleasant." I hiss, not meaning for it to be out loud.

"How's paperwork going?" He asks smugly. I whirl on him, glaring at him, hoping my eyes will cut right through him. "You're such a prick, you know that?"

"Maybe you'll actually learn then." I slam the files on the floor. "You want to go, Rogers? I'll beat your ass right here in the elevator. You'll get a lot worse then a bullet gra-" I'm cut off by my body falling over as the elevator comes to an abrupt stop. "God, I fucking hate the universe." I say, getting louder with each word. "I think the elevator is stuck."

"Yeah, no shit." I shout, getting up, trying to control my breathing. The thing about panicking, you don't ever have control. My breaths come out sporadic and haggard. I do the first thing I can think of. "Don't punch the door-"

"I'm punching the door." I respond as I do it. It does nothing but make my hand hurt. I yelp in pain. "Oh, big surprise. When will you learn that you can't just do whatever you want?" I laugh sarcastically, probably sounding crazy. I pace the elevator, trying to hide my panic. I've always hated elevators for this reason, and now it's actually happened. Trapped in a goddamn elevator. I'm terrified.

"Oh sure. Like you've never been reckless and done what you thought was right, Steve 'I lied to get into the military and jump out of planes without parachutes ' Rogers." I search the elevator for an exit point. I stand in the corner, attempting to standing in the railing. "There's gotta be something. A door or anything!" I say to myself. "You're gonna fall." Steve oh so helpfully inputs.

"Shut up."

"Maybe I should just let you. Maybe you'll finally stop doing such stupid things and putting our missions, civilians, and the team in jeopardy." He starts ranting, sounding as pissed as I felt. I ignore him, searching frantically for a way out. "And all you ever do is fight me on every single-"

"Shut up, shut up, shut up!" I scream, finally gaining his attention. I watch his eyes take in my body language. Tense, angry, scared. A wild animal in a cage. "If you want to be helpful, you'll help me find a way out of this death trap. Otherwise you can shut your  abad damn trap because I can't sit in here and listen to you bitch about me doing exactly what you do." I seethe, nearly tearing off the light fixture.

"(Y/n)," he says slowly and calmly, "get down from the rail."

"I said can it with the captain bullshit."

"I'm saying this as a friend. You're going to hurt yourself. Please get down." Angry tears fall down my cheeks. "I need to get out." I whimper, still not moving. "Okay. Okay, we'll get out but we need to think about this. Let's not panic."

"Too late."

"(Y/n), come down."

"I'm shaking too much." I mutter. He sighs, walks over, and grabs me around the waist. He sets me carefully on the floor of the elevator where I immediately crumple in on myself. "Are you claustrophobic?" I shake my head, hiding my face in my hands, feeling quite embarrassed. "I just don't like elevators. I can't explain it. I can't die in an elevator, Steve!"

"You're not going to die."

"We could! The cords could break, and we fall down dozens of floors, or we-" He cuts my off by hugging me tightly. Despite being mad at him, I relax at his touch. "I'm sure Tony will have it fixed in no time. Just pretend it's moving."

"If I do that, I might start yelling at you again." I warn, laughing through the shaky voice. "That's okay." He assures. "Why'd you have to put me on desk duty of all things?" I ask. For once it's not malicious, just curious. "Why do you seem to always yell at me, get upset with me? Do you not like me or something?" He looks like a deer in headlights, like I've learned his darkest secret. "You're just...you're so headstrong and confident in what you do that you don't take time to plan. I don't want you to get hurt." I chuckle. "I do plan, got a fast reaction like that. You never need to worry about me. Besides, we all do stupid shit sometimes."

"Not like you, (Y/n)." He says it like I'm something he might lose. Like I'm something worth keeping. I think I understand why, but I want him to say it. "Maybe, but you never put anyone else on desk duty, out of fire at all times." I press. He sighs in frustration. "The things you do to me." He mutters. "Well?" I ask. He ignores the question, cupping my face carefully before kissing me. He's America's sweetheart, so I'm not surprised to find he's sweet and slow but still passionate. Where the hell did he learn to kiss like that? The elevator starts moving again. I break from Steve excitedly. "Oh sweet Jesus, thank you!" I cheer.

Steve tilts my head back towards him. "I couldn't lose you before doing that." I smile. "Then I'm glad you finally grew a pair." The doors open to reveal a smug looking team. "What did you guys do?" I growl. "We were sick of you guys fighting each other." Bruce starts. "So we thought we'd get you guys to just make out already." Tony finishes. "All I had to do was the stop the elevator, and wait while watching the camera footage." I cross my arms. "Thats pretty creepy guys." I scold. "Well it worked, didn't it?" Clint retorts. I just huff, grabbing Steve's wrist, and walking away. "Ohh, you guys gonna do it?" Tony calls teasingly. "Not if he doesn't take me off desk duty we aren't." I call back,