Safe {Natasha x Reader}

Natasha P.O.V.

"We have no clue where she is."

"We'll look harder." I snap. (Y/n) had gotten separated during this last mission, and no one could get a read on her location. I'm trying to keep my calm, but it's difficult. I've never cared about someone as much as her. "Nat, calm down-"

"No, Steve! My girlfriend is out there somewhere, god knows if she's okay, and we can't find her."

"We're going to find her."

"Here's the thing about that line, Cap. People always want to follow it up with dead or alive, and they're too afraid to. They know which one is more likely."

~~~~~

We storm the fifth Hydra base after months.

"You know, you really should keep track of your things. Wouldn't want to lose more precious possessions would you?" The head scientist steps aside to reveal a small cage. Too small for a person to be in, but yet there they are. Caked in blood and dirt. Covered in cuts, littered with bruises, trembling and muttering. Almost beyond recognition.

Almost.

"(Y/n)..."

"Oh yes, missing for, what, seven months now?" My jaw clenched at his obvious toying. "Eight."

"Oh, eight, right." He smirked. "Would you like to know what I've done? Would you like to know how I've broken her? She's practically a scared house pet now." He slams his hand onto the top of the cage, making (Y/n) let out a small yelp and shrinking impossibly further into herself. "You see, we found her at that base in Russia all those months back. She put up a good fight for a long time, but at the end of the day, fear controls all our little pets."

His words are like bile in my throat. I want to tear his face off and make him choke on it. I want to shoot him and stab him and burn him for anything and everything they've done to (Y/n). "You shut your goddamn mouth." I raise my gun at his head, but he doesn't look concerned. "I'll make you a deal. I'll give you your little toy back when we get our Winter Soldier back." In the corner of my eye, I see Steve's body stiffen just the tiniest bit. I decide I'm done with this shit, and shoot the man right between the eyes. "Natasha, that wasn't the mission."

"Screw the mission. (Y/n) is my mission." I snap back. I rush up to the cafe, kicking the body away. I lean down to her eye level, speaking softly. "Hey, (Y/n), it's me. It's Natasha. Can you look at me? Please look at me. I'm going to get you out of here. He won't hurt you anymore." I promise, slipping a few fingers through the holes towards her. She looks at me, but I can't tell if she recognizes me. She stays huddled in her ball. I go to fiddle with the lock, but it's some sort of high tech thing that I can't pick, probably because of elemental manipulation. "Stark, can you do anything about this?" The others stand watch, keeping an eyes out for any other soldiers, while Tony walks over. "I can do something and about everything." He boasts.

I don't pay attention to what he does, keeping my eyes trained on my loving, strong, girlfriend who know seems so broken. My heart aches for her, if I could take away the pain of the last eight months, I would in an instant. Once the door is opened, I tell Tony to back up, and lean down in front of the entrance. "(Y/n), I'm sure you're very frightened right now, but I need you to come with me." She raises her head a bit. "They'll catch me again. They'll hurt me again." She whispers hoarsely, nearly in tears. "I'll never let them hurt you again. I promise. (Y/n), you know me. Have I ever lied to you?" She raises her head just a little higher.

"That one time in Toronto. When you told me you knew what a manatee was." I smile, nearly crying in joy at the memory. "I know what a manatee is." I respond. Her face is blank, but she tentatively crawls out and sits on her knees in front of me. I go to bring her in my arms, but she flinched at my quick approach. "It's okay baby, lets get you home."

~~~~~

The first thing I noticed when we got back to the tower was her limp, the first thing I did was try and get her to shower. (Y/n) was scared to be alone, and scared that she would do something wrong. I ended up bathing her, and though she was hesitant to my touch at first, she eventually let me scrub of the dirt and blood on her skin and hair. Every scar and bruise and flinch I see made me angry and sad. I don't let her see my anger though, I don't want her to be afraid of me. I want those bastards with Hydra to pay. I hate to even begin to think of what they did to her. She's usually so talkative and smiley. Now she's quiet and frowning.

After the bath, I try to brush out the knots in her hair, but she finds it painful and it freaks her out, so I just take her down to the medical bay instead. "It'll be okay, (Y/n), I'm right here." I reassure as she looks uncertainly at all the medical equipment. She voluntarily grabs my hand and arm just like she used to, but doesn't look at me. "I'm scared, Natty." She whispers. "Please don't be upset." She adds. I press a kiss to her hand in mine, which she allows with a pensive look. "I'm not upset, (Y/n). You are allowed to scared. No one here will hurt you though, they just want to make sure your okay." She doesn't have a reaction, but allows Bruce and Dr. Cho to look her over.

"Well, she's malnourished, dehydrated, has many lacerations, a broken wrist, and she may need surgery on her knee. I got her all wrapped up. Bottom line is, she's traumatized. Natasha, there's a slim chance she'll ever be the same." Bruce says to me, just out of (Y/n)'s earshot. "Well, I have to try. She remembers us, and she seems to trust me. What am I supposed to do? Just leave her all alone?" Bruce sighs at my quiet outburst. "No, that not what I'm saying. I just wanted you to be prepared for that reality." I roll my eyes. "Thanks." I mutter before walking back to (Y/n) who was back to being huddled up.

"Honey, you know you can stretch out a bit. You'd be more comfortable." She looks up at me, and I can see the tears in her eyes. "Can we get out of here now? Please?" I nod, and help her stand and walk back to our shared bedroom. "You need some rest." I instruct, laying her on her side of the bed. She shakes her head. "If I'm asleep, I won't be able to fight them if they find me." I sigh, and sit next to her. "They'll have to get through me to get you. Through everyone. The team all missed you a lot, too. We're not letting you go anywhere." She finally starts sobbing. She curls up in a fetal position, and rest her head on my lap. I pet her hair, and shush her. "You're okay, you're safe now, you're protected."

"I tried to fight them, Natasha, I really did. They wanted to use my abilities for them, they wanted me to hurt people. When I didn't, they hurt me. I close my eyes, and I can see them coming for me. I'm broken. Scared and broken. I'm supposed to be a hero, and I've become a mess."

"No, (Y/n), no. You are not broken. You are still a hero. You had something bad happen, but we'll all be here to help you so you don't have to be scared anymore. No one is coming for you, I'll never let them touch you again. You're my one and only (Y/n), I promise you." Her crying subsides, and I hear her mutter back, "My one and only." She sits up, and cuddles into my side. "Is it okay if I kiss you?" She points at her forehead, so I give her a small reassuring smile and kiss her forehead. "I love you, (Y/n). You don't have to be scared anymore."