Birthday {Tony x Reader}

(Y/n) P.O.V.

My eyes flutter open to sunlight hitting my face. I smile at last nights events. As if the thought caused a chain reaction, Tony's arm wraps tighter around my torso, and he trails kisses from my shoulder blade, up to my collarbone, neck, jaw, and finally he leans over and kisses my lips. "Someone's in a good mood this morning." I note. "Well, when you're waking up to the perfect woman, it's impossible not to."

"Last night was great." I say, turning my body to face him. "We can make it a great day. There's lots to do." I frown in confusion. "What for?" He smirks. "For your birthday." My eyes widen in surprise. I've never told anyone when my date of birth was, ever. I hated my birthday. The idea of awkward singing, being given things I felt I didn't deserve, none of it sounded appealing besides cake. I always felt like there were better things to be dealing with. When I was younger, no one ever cared about my birthday, so I didn't either. "How'd you find out about that?" I ask, springing up. "Your file may or may not have ended up on my computer." Tony said, sounding smug.

"Tony, please just forget it. I don't really feel like doing anything. There's a reason I don't tell people." His face scrunches up in confusion. "Why shouldn't we celebrate the life of my amazing and wonderful girlfriend." I stand up, wrapping a sheet around myself. "Sweet talk isn't going to get you anywhere. Please, just, whatever you have planned, can we just skip it? If you really want me to have a good birthday, you'll treat it like any other day." I look back from pulling clothes out of drawers to see Tony laying across the bed with what I call the thinking face.

"Tony." I say sternly. He gives me a little smile. "Sure. Okay." I narrow my eyes in suspicion. "Tony."

"I won't set up anything I had planned." I sigh in relief. "Thank you." I leave the room, and head into the bathroom to shower. By the time I come out, Tony has left the room and made the bed. There's a little paper note on a pillow, and scribbled on it is, 'Ill just have to make new plans. Love you :)' I groan in frustration, tear the note apart, and run out of the room. "Tony!" I yell. The first person I run into is Bruce leaving the kitchen with a cup of coffee. "Bruce! Have you seen Tony?" I ask. "He said something about heading out. He started ranting about something, but I usually tune him out if it's not about science. Sorry." He slinks off towards his lab.

I decide to just get some breakfast, thinking of my grand escape from Tony for the day as I do. Natasha walks in and immediately sees my face. "What's the matter with you?" I roll my eyes. "Tony. What else?" She chuckles. "What'd he do now?" I go to respond, but realize I can't tell her without revealing it's my birthday. "It's just a couples spat. Probably will be forgotten about by the time we see each other again." I can tell she doesn't believe me, so I change the subject. "Anyways, any plans for the day?"

"Just hiding from Steve's training schedule, as per usual. We should grab Wanda, and have a girls day or something." Now I'm looking at her suspiciously. "Um, why? You've never suggested a girls day in your life ever. Why the sudden change of heart?" She shrugs. "Like I said, I'm hiding from Steve, and I'm bored. I figure, what's the harm. You've been talking up that nail salon in the mall anyways. I thought it'd be fun." I cross my arms, and stare her down. "Right...you didn't happen to hear any information about me from Tony, did you?" She gives me an impenetrable poker face. "What do you mean?" I should have known I couldn't figure anything out from her.

"Uh huh, well then we'll have to move the girls day to another day. I'm thinking about having some alone time today." I'm fairly certain she knows, and I'm not letting her do anything with it. "I'll be out!"

~~~~~

I get a text, and look down to see it's Steve. 'Emergency meeting. Meet back at the tower ASAP.' I sigh, knowing I was going to have to leave the book store eventually, after hours here, and get on my way. Steve and his stupid meetings. I know it's not his fault, but still, I was enjoying that book. I get back to the tower to find it dark. Immediately I'm on alert, preparing to grab the dagger on the inside of my jacket. "Hello?" I call. No response. "FRIDAY, give me a read on the room." The lights turn on, and I'm met with the sound of many party poppers. I'm surprised to see Tony there, dressed up in a suit, and surrounded by many party goers all dressed up. They all cheer, "Happy birthday, (Y/n)!" They disperse and the music starts blaring.

I feel embarrassment spread throughout my body while Tony approaches me. "I may have told some people...I know you said you didn't want anything-"

"You're right, I did. So why didn't you listen to me? God, Tony, I asked for this one thing! What the hell?" He takes my hands, which are thrown up in exasperation, in his. "Come on, I got you a nice dress, a big cake, I planned everything to a T." I stomp to our room, Tony tailing me. "You had no right. Didn't you ever think that there was a reason I never told you my birthday? Why it never came up in our two years together?"

"Yeah that's...kinda why I did it. I don't know why you seem to avoid your birthday like the plague, but I'd like to know why. (Y/n), you know I love you, right? You've asked me to be more open with you, and now I'm asking the same from you." I sigh, looking away from him and at the beautiful (f/c) sequined dress. "My parents never cared about it, my friends didn't, I didn't. There was always something more important, and I realized pretty quickly, that's life. No one cares about one persons birthday. For the longest time, it seemed stupid, pointless. And if I didn't care, then why did I deserve a party?"

Tony turned my head towards him. "I care. This team cares. We want to give you the best birthday ever. So what do you say? Kiss and makeup? And go to this little shindig I set up?" I smile, and look at the dress again. "First, we both know Pepper did the bulk of the work, second, let's do it." I press a kiss to his lips, and change into the dress as Tony goes back to the party. Of course it hugs my curves, and has a fairly deep neckline. When I come back out, I find Tony at the bar, and join him. He immediately hands me a drink while his eyes travel my body. "You look amazing." I smile. "You don't look so bad yourself." The music suddenly changes from an upbeat song to a slow one. Tony holds out his hand. "May I have this dance." I take his hands and he drags me to the dance floor. We hold hands to the side while my other hand rest on his shoulder, his other hand on my waist.

"See, this isn't so bad." He says smugly. "You're not totally let off the hook, mister." I warn. "Do presents and cake fix it?" I chuckle. "Kind of makes it worse." He twirls me, the pulls me tight against him. "How about this? Cake, and one gift from me." I kiss him. "That sounds better." He gives me a genuine smile. "Then follow me." He takes me away from the party, out onto a balcony. "(Y/n), I love you. That's the only way to really express how I feel because words and feelings aren't exactly my forte. We both know this. So, I'd like to make a gesture instead." He pulls something from his jacket pocket, and gets on one knee. I gasp, and tears spring to my eyes. "Will you marry me?"

I smile wide. "Yes, Tony. Yes!" He happily takes my hand, and slips the ring on. I pull on the collar of his shirt to kiss him passionately. I break when I hear cheering, and look at the entrance to see the team cheering. "You're terrible at secrecy." I tell Tony. "I was just so excited to make you Mrs. Stark." I smile, and press another quick kiss to his lips. "I can't wait, Mr. (L/n)."