Chapter 9 Train like a Cobra

Today was the first day of cobra kai training. Miguel and I strolled into the dojo and saw my dad already setting up. We looked around the dojo, mirrors lined one of the walls while the text strike first strike hard no mercy  was painted on the wall parallel. Chairs were set up around the dojo as a temporary waiting area for students. It reeked of dust, alcohol, and rat sh!t. Miguel and I slipped off our shoes and stepped onto the mat where my dad stood. There was an awkward silence as we stood there waiting for my dad to say something. "So am I gonna get the karate pajamas to?" Miguel asked breaking the silence. "QUIET!" My dad screamed in reply. Miguel and I jumped a little at the loud booming sound in his voice. "The students only speak when spoken to. Is that understood?" My dad continued a little bit calmer. Miguel and I looked at each other before we responded, "u-uh yes" Miguel replied. My dad looked at him like he was awaiting another answer, "u-uh yes sir" Miguel said hoping that it was correct. I looked at my dad confused trying to fully understand what he wanted us to call him, "Yes... sensei?" I questioned still unsure of what he meant. "You'll always address me as sensei" my dad replied to Miguel and I. "is that understood" My dad directed towards Miguel, he looked extremely intimidating in a karate gi, it kind of scared me. "U-uh Yes sensei" Miguel squeaked out. "And these aren't pajamas" My dad scoffed. "It's a gi" I whispered to Miguel. "You'll get one when you've earned it" My dad continued still using a harsh tone.

 "Alright you ready to begin your training" My dad asked with a smirk. "Uh yes sensei" Miguel and I replied. Then my dad grabbed Miguel by the shoulders and threw him to the ground, "uhggg my a$$" He groaned while grabbing his back. "Lesson one strike first, never wait for the enemy to attack" my dad ordered. He stepped towards me but I stepped back, "You are not throwing me to the ground" I scoffed while crossing my arms. "QUIET" My dad screamed stopping me. "We do not train to be merciful here, mercy is for the weak" My dad continued while grabbing my shoulders and throwing me to the ground next to Miguel. I shot back up and pulled Miguel up with me, "Hey you ok" I whispered to him as I saw him reach in his pocket. Instead of answering me he pulled out an inhaler, he took a deep breath in and out as he tried to stop an asthma attack from coming. "What is the problem Mr. Diaz" My dad asked stepping in front of Miguel. "T-there's no problem sensei, you punched me and I have asthma." Miguel replied a little scared. "Not anymore" My dad scoffed while grabbing Miguel's inhaler and throwing it up against the wall smashing it. "Dad!" I yelled angrily, my dad stared back at me before he spoke. "We do not allow weakness in this dojo" He said. Then he directed his attention to Miguel and said, "So you can leave your asthma"  then he directed his attention to me, "And your mango allergies and all that other bullsh!t outside" He continued. (ik he says peanut allergy in the show but im allergic to mango's so i wanted to change it lol) "Yea but those are real medical problems" Miguel said defending him and I. My dad stared down at him coldly and he chickened out, "Yes sensei understood" He said ashamed. 

"Cobra kai isn't just about karate, its about a way of life" My dad said while staring at Miguel and I who were tired and injured. "Take that first lesson, striking first is the initial step towards victory" My dad said a little bit happier, I could tell he was trying to seem less frightening and intimidating because he felt bad. Miguel nodded in reply, "So you're at a party and you see a hot babe... or boy, are you gonna let another guy... or girl go talk to them first" My dad asked Miguel and I, I smiled at the fact that he made the question so Miguel and I could both answer. "No sensei" I replied with a smile. My dad nodded to me before both our heads turned to Miguel, he stood there nervously scratching the back of his head. "I mean iv'e never been to a party soo" Miguel said with reluctance in his voice. "Big surprise" my dad replied sarcastically. "Alright look, striking first is about being aggressive, right if you're not aggressive then you're being a p^ssy and you dont want to be a p^ssy you want to have b@lls" My dad started but I cut him off. "Don't you think you're doing a lot of genderizing" I said. "What?" My dad asked confused, sometimes he was an idiot. "Don't you think you're doing a lot of genderizing sensei" Miguel corrected trying to fix the problem. "No uh, what the hell are you talking about" My dad asked me completely ignoring Miguel. Before I could explain to my dad what I meant Miguel butted in, "My guidance counselor says that certain words perpetuate the sexist world view that could trigger-" "QUIET" My dad screamed cutting him off.  Miguel almost began crying because he was so terrified, I just stood in my place shoulders high. "From now on you don't listen to your guidance counselor you're going to listen to me. Is that understood?" My dad continued calming himself down. "Yes sensei" Miguel replied. "Good, now stop yapping like a little girl and give me 50 push ups on your knuckles." My dad ordered while staring at Miguel. "What about me?" I questioned while looking up at my dad. "Ali I don't need to watch you do 50 I already know you can do 100" My dad replied, I smiled lightly as i felt a boost of confidence course through my veins. I looked down and saw Miguel helplessly failing to complete one push up, poor kid. "Alright just do some crunches, don't you have gym class or something" My dad questioned while trying to make things easier for Miguel. 

My attention was directed to the door when I heard the ringing of a bell which meant the door had been opened. "Howdy there uh Mr. Lawrence" A man said while walking into the dojo. "It's sensei Lawrence" Miguel corrected proudly. "Miguel shut up" Johnny scolded, I could practically see the bubble of confidence surrounding him pop. "What brings you in, looking to loose that gut and learn how to kick some a$$" My dad asked the man, he was being his own spokesperson and it was hilarious. The man looked down at himself insecurely, "No... i'm from the city health department, here is a list of requirements needed to open up an exercise studio" The man replied with an annoyed look while handing my dad a sheet of paper. "This isn't an exercise studio" My dad scoffed. "It's a karate dojo" I said while finishing his sentence and standing next to him. "Ya same deal" The man replied while rolling his eyes and walking around. "Wow this place needs a lot of work, you're not open for business are you?" The man asked. "Are you customers here" The man asked Miguel and I. Before Miguel blew our cover I made sure to speak up first, "No i'm Mr. Lawrence's daughter and this is... my... boyfriend" I said, Miguel wasn't my boyfriend and he never would be my boyfriend, but he wouldn't pass as my brother. Miguel crept up next to me when he finished his crunches and whispered something to me, "Are you sure i'm your boyfriend because I could have sworn I saw you and Eli locking lips a few nights ago after the dinner party." My face turned bright red as he came around to face me looking straight at me. "You like him don't you" Miguel said while raising his eyebrows. I looked at him and took a deep breath, the Diaz family's eyes were captivating, it was as if they could pry the secrets straight from your body. "N-n... n- n" I started to say but I couldn't seem to form the words no. A smirk plastered over Miguel's face and I completely cracked. "Ya I like him" I blurted out unable to control myself. "The Miguel Diaz touch, prying secrets out of people since June 17 2002" Miguel said cockily while practically dancing over to where sensei was. Before he could walk to far away I grabbed the back of his shirt, "You tell anyone and i'll kill you. Understand?" I whispered practically choking him with his own blue dodgers t shirt. "Ya I understand" He replied forcefully trying to get out of my grasp. I let go of him and gave him a push towards where my dad was and he regained his balance as he continued walking. 

"I'll drop in next week for another inspection" The man said while walking towards the door. "Hey cool rattlesnake" He said while looking at the logo. "It's a cobra" My dad and I scoffed. "Oh right duh... cobra k" The man replied while exiting the dojo. "What an idiot" I scoffed when the door closed. "Agreed" Miguel replied with a slight chuckle. "What are you laughing about lets get back to work!" My dad pressured while pushing Miguel and I back onto the mat. "Diaz lesson number two, stay the hell away from my daughter" My dad stated while sweeping Miguel's leg out from under him, he hit the ground with a loud groan. "Dad!" I whined while laughing slightly. "Ali, you can do better than this dork" My dad replied also laughing slightly. "Ya I know" I returned cockily while flipping my hair. "I would hype you up right now if I weren't having an asthma attack" Miguel wheezed while standing up from the floor.

The training was harsh but iv'e been through worse, by the end I had a light sweat. I looked over at Miguel who was wheezing even more than he had been earlier. "C'mon Miggy it wasn't that bad" I said while walking over to him and helping him up. "Name one thing worse than this" Miguel replied while collapsing down onto the mat. "The fitness gram pacer test from middle school" I said in response. Miguel looked at me with wide eyes, "Your a genius" he announced while applauding for me as if I had just won the all valley. "Ya i'm many things, genius is not one of them" I replied laughing slightly. He laughed in reply while pulling me down onto the mat to stare up at the ceiling with him. I had a passion for karate, and I knew if I worked for it I could be just as good as my dad, maybe even better. 

Idk why but I love the Miguel and Ali moments in this chapter. 

Also we got to see some cobra kai training and some Johnny and Ali goals. 

Can y'all give me ideas for Ali's costume to the Halloween dance, it's coming up soon and I have no idea what she should go as!