Memories and Metamorphosis

I remember the day Duryodhan poisoned Bhrata Bheem's food. However, thank God he did, that's what has made Bhratashree poison-resistant. Funny indeed...

I remember the day, we first met Eklavya... His dark sienna orbs held a different shine, the one which I have always searched for in the eyes of all the other more-or-less good warriors in my life, but never ever found again---- not even in the eyes of Angraaj. I didn't hold the least bit of grudge against Eklavya, and Gurudev's exuberant 'Guru Dakshina' claim from him was the one and only incident ever when I was really not in favour of my Gurudev's decision, not even a bit. He was really talented..... Wait.... Where is he now? I do need to know.... But, not right now...

I remember the day, my real struggle towards becoming the Savayasachi Gudakesha Purshottam Mahanayak began... It was quite some time before dawn. My sleep suddenly broke as I heard some commotion outside the small hut where we, the Pandavas, slept. I was already quite disturbed by the recent incident of Duryodhan poisoning Bhrata Bheem's food, and the small commotion and ruffle of air was enough to wake me up. I got up and silently went out. It was dark but I could spot some light coming from a little distance away. I walked silently, following the light source. To my utter astonishment, I found the ten-year-old Ashshwatthama training with Gurudev, at that hour of the night. I was quick to discover the reason behind his 'extra sleep' every morning, or 'early to bed' patterns at night. That night onwards, each night, I used to wake up at about two hours past midnight and silently watch their training. In the process, I learnt a few exquisite war skills and divine mantras. One of those was a mantra that could give any arrow the power to seize the life of any person or creature it is shot at, at the very instance. However, the eight-year-old me wasn't able to notice that Gurudev had actually spotted me in the very first night.... One afternoon, as we all were taking our afternoon break, Gurudev suddenly ascended into the river. A few moments later, we spotted an alligator approaching him, as he stood silent and quiet in the water, his eyes closed, offering his afternoon prayers to the river. Everyone was screaming. I looked at Ashshwatthama, hoping that he would shoot that arrow. But, shocking me utterly, he didn't. The look on his face said that he had already forgotten it. I didn't know what  I was doing, when I picked up my bow, uttered the mantra and shot at the alligator. In a flick, the creature annihilated, and in the next moment everyone was gaping at me, while Gurudev smiled calmly at me. I knew at once, what that smile meant..... 

My metamorphosis did take ten absolute years. The day we returned to Hastinapur, and changed into royal attire, I honestly couldn't recognize the man in the mirror--- dark toned abs, well-built posture, short dark brown mane and a pair of hazel eyes filled with confidence..... For a moment, I was stunned and kept on staring at him. I realized why all those girls were staring at me while I was entering the city on horseback. I had already got another title-- Shwetvahana. A few days later, Mata received an invitation to Pukeya, from her friend Maharani Rohini. On reaching Pukeya, I soon realized that the Queen's real intention was to somehow get me and her daughter , Rajkumari Uruvi, hitched up. Uruvi was beautiful, no doubt, but which proper royal lady of Aryavart wasn't that beautiful? Moreover, how can mere beauty ever keep a marital relation intact? I mentioned 'mere beauty' because Uruvi and I didn't even share a good friendship. 

Bach at Hastinapur, in the contest, Karn's words or warrior skills didn't at all woo me. I had already seen a true talent--- Eklavya, and I knew something--- no talent can flourish without the right positive company and guidance, which I soon found in the form of my Sakha--- Madhav...

A few days later, an invitation came from Madhav. It was clearly mentioned  that I need to go, even if the other five, including Mata, couldn't. It was when I realized the omnipresent nature of Vasudev Shri Krishna. 

The moment I met him, at once I knew that he was the ultimate friend I always needed. His dark eyes glowed with a divine light of true dharma..... I knew that this was the person who could put that forever missing part of my soul back into place. And, the next one  was Subhadra.... She came in almost running, as I sat in the guest's hall. The look in her eyes, said it all-- she was falling for me, already. I knew Duryodhan was there, and talking with him was probably the last thing I wanted.... But my eyes were always searching for that one person....Rather, that one soul... that half soul --- the other half of me... Yes, that is what I always felt like... I always felt half, inspite of everything... Inspite of the fame, victory and riches I gained in the next few years. 

The real twist in my life was the war with Maharaj Drupad. When Gurudev demanded in the Rajsabha that he wanted some unique Gurudakshina, each person, including the elders were quite scared to utter a word, after the Eklavya incident. I was the first one to volunteer, and the one to defeat Drupad, too. Probably, that was why I was finally gifted by destiny with the other half of my soul--- my Krishnaa.... 

Maharaj Drupad, back the, was cruel enough to ask for hoards of pain for his own daughter. But, who knew that I would be the agent via whom all that pain would be delivered to her--- maybe always unintentionally and indirectly, but still. The moment she stepped out of the fire and her blue-lotus fragrance lingered around, enticing all my senses, I at once knew that either my life was getting all set, or I am FINISHED. Honestly, her beauty has always not just enchanted but amazed me. It has animated the creative artiste in me. But, what I love is jot her physical form or appearance--- it is her soul... Our love is a connection between our souls, and that's what makes it immortal...

________________________________________________________________________

Dear Readers,

Arjun's Point Of View ends here for now. I'll write a short Kunti's P.O.V. next. BTW, Kindly put up with my late updates.... And, I can never ever thank you all enough for 49K+ reads and 2.6K+ votes (Ooops.. I don't remember the exact figures) by now. Drop your valuable comments. Not just applauds, intelligent criticism is equally welcome...

~With immense love and gratitude,

Bristi <3

___________________________________________________________________________