The Secret

Kunti was sitting silently in the balcony. Priyamvada was in her own chamber and inside, the kids were asleep inside...

Kunti's P.O.V.:

As I am sitting here alone, I can see the guest quarters, across the gardens. Karn-- my first born must be there now. My unfortunate child doesn't even know that he is a royal. He doesn't even know that he is holding those evils' hands just to go against his own brothers, to earn the 'royalty' that he already has.... And, I am the reason behind all of his sufferings... I remember that fateful day when I had called upon Suryadev, just to check if that boon really worked or not.... Like, seriously?? Such a petty doubt of mine, has completely spoiled my firstborn's life... I wish I could just run out to him, rightaway, hug him, and tell him not to be so angry on Arjun or Draupadi, and just come and join us. I think Yudhishthir will be more than just happy to give his throne to his elder brother.... But, how can I? That would be gross injustice to my five sons... especially to my Arjun and Draupadi.... The way they have tortured her, insulted her, they need to be punished. I shall stand by the RIGHT... Even if that means standing against my eldest son...

____________________________________________________________________________

"Mata..", Krishnaa's mild and soft call brought Kunti out of her reminiscing spree. She blinked away the moisture from her eyes and turned around to face her 'daughter'. "Yes, putri.... All of them have already fallen asleep... You should have brought Arjun along... That would have been better..." Krishnaa's piercing gaze made Kunti pause mid-sentence, just as their eyes met. At once, she could almost feel her daughter-in-law reading her thoughts.... reading her deep, dark secret.... Her gaze at Krishnaa's eyes flinched and broke. She looked away hesitantly and was about to move away, when Draupadi suddenly held her hand. "Wait Mata.... What were you thinking about, that has made you so tense??", she asked, her voice low but firm. Kunti tried to free her hand, but immediately Draupadi enveloped her in a hug. In a moment, Kunti could feel how and why her son is so much in love with this woman. She is not just a heavenly ethereal face, she is way way beyond that... She is a beautiful heart, an extremely compassionate soul. And, those blue eyes, which her son used to dream about, are much more than just dreamy... They hold all the power of the world. Their gaze can penetrate into anyone's thoughts....

She hugged back Draupadi tighter, as the mother began sobbing on the daughter's shoulder... Draupadi slowly took her to the balcony, and then asked her softly, "Tell me Mata... please..."

Kunti began... "Karna is my son.... Not Sutputra... But, Suryaputra..." Draupadi could almost feel the whole world take a spin around.... "I had abandoned him after his birth, which was before my marriage. Maharshi Durvasa, satisfied with my services to him while he stayed at our palace as a guest, had given me the boon of calling upon any Devta and, I would get the boon of a son from Him... I was young and unmarried, and thus out of sheer curiosity wanted to check whether the boon really worked or not... and then.... after He was born, I floated him away in the Ganga. It was then that Suryadev had granted him with the Kavach and Kundal to protect him from the adversities.  My lad doesn't even know who his real parents are.... My gratitude to Radhadevi and Adhirath....", Kunti finished and looked at Draupadi. Her eyes were pale as she continued looking at the void.... What shall she do now? She's torn between responsibility and justice for herself... Kunti understood what she must be thinking and in an attempt to calm her down, slowly said, "It's alright... It's my mistake and his misfortune.. We will have to suffer for that..." But, was that all? Will Arjun ever forgive himself if he did something to Karn and then came to know that he was his own elder brother? 

Draupadi slowly took a long breath and regained her composure. She suddenly remembered that terrible dream--- her Arjun leaving her... That was probably a warning. She knew what she had to do right at the moment. She murmured to Kunti, "Please keep the kids for tonight...", and nearly ran out of the room.

"Arya..", Krishnaa's call pulled Arjun out of his walk down memory lane. He turned towards her, expecting to see his smallest two kids, but was quite surprised to see her alone, all tensed and almost sweat-drenched. "Krishnaa...", he hurriedly rushed to her, concern ringing in his voice. Krishnaa raised her palms, making him pause in his tracks. "I have something very important to say...."

The moment Krishnaa finished saying it all, she looked towards Arjun to find him equally devastated, as she was when she was told the news.  He knew it would be a very tough choice between justice and fratricide... They'll have to change their whole action plan.. 

The next morning, the same participants of the previous night's meeting gathered. A summary of the action plan lay on the table...

"First, we will try to convince Angraaj by letting him know the truth. At the same time, while Krishnaa does that, we will have to take charge of organizing a festival ,today evening itself. We had invited Duryodhan that afternoon, but due to the sudden turmoils, we postponed the function. Now, is we don't do it, they'll suspect us. Well, next, we, as per this totally changed action plan, are going to have the main duel in the nearby barren piece of land, where Takshak's residence in the Khandav forest, once lay.  I and Sakha will go there, and no one else..."

"What?! Have you lost it Arjun? Only the two of you? We will also go... the four of us, Dhrishtdyumn and Bhrata Balram..", Bheem almost enraged. Balram also supported him, nearly immediately.Krishna signalled to Arjun keep silent and just accept what they were saying. Arjun, though not willing, with complete faith on his Madhav, accepted it. 

Though... Krishnaa was already off to fight the real battle....