(Spin-off Series 1) DALLIANCE

Dearest readers,

So here goes the third part of this spin-off series. Hope you people enjoy whatever I am putting out here. And, it's disappointing to receive so few or no answers to the questions I put at the end of the chapters. Thus, waiting for you all to spam this chapter ;)
And, in case you haven't yet noticed, the chapter 14 of Veeryashukla is already up...

~Happy Reading,
Bristi <3

(Spin-off Series 1) Of Love, Beauty and Imagination

CHAPTER 3: DALLIANCE

Kaartik stared clue-less-ly at the radiant face that he had grown to love beyond reason, without his own notice. He still couldn't fathom what kind of a spell this love thing was.

He snorted inwardly.

If his sister, being the Goddess of Love herself couldn't quite fathom what kind of a spell it was, well, who was he, then?

But he knew one thing for sure. If they wanted to save their own sweet lives, they'll have to take things slow and steady.

Indra! How he wanted to just go and slit that man's damned throat! At every single unwanted time, he would be the most nosy creature in existence. But the only matter in which Kaartik actually needed his support and approval, he would never play the easy card and just nod a yes. The man had serious ego issues.

For a moment, he wondered whether he should actually try to contact his sister through telepathy and ask her about personality issues. However, he immediately dropped the idea. It was stupid. Terribly stupid.

He concentrated back to the moment and into the glorious green eyes which, he was positive, could see right into his very soul. Vulnerability leaked into his eyes under her piercing, yet moist, gaze, and the God of War traced weakness in his self for the first time in eons.

When had he last felt this weak - vulnerable, unprotected and childish?

He recounted an incident from his childhood. The clear memory of the two-year-old him running around in the magical wilderness of his parents' abode, against his mother's repeated warning instructions, when he had almost run into his mother's mighty lion. He had no idea that the beauty of the magical flora could host such ferocious fauna. He had taken a few clumsy fearful steps back and just as a twig had snapped beneath his foot and he had realized with a shockingly melancholic finality that this was the absolute last moment of his existence, when, his mother's strict, yet somehow at the same time, tender voice had ordered from behind, "Leo, that's your brother." Calm and commanding - only his supremely divine parents could ever have such an enigma in such a short sentence. The lion, which had already taken a step towards him, shifted it's gaze to his mother, and the look of ferocity in its amber eyes was shifted into a look of immensely devoted love and reverence. It slowly bowed its head and Kaartik thought that he had just heard the flaming-gold-furred magnificent creature purr.

'Leo' - he never forgot that name ever again. He never would. Never ever.

"Hey!", the lady in his arms whispered out to him, calling him out of his reverie.
"Oh, I just zoned out.", he muttered a quick apology.
"What do you think should we do?", Devayani asked, her otherwise clear green eyes clouding with apprehension.

He took a deep steadying breath. He had to choose the tougher but surer path. He knew it was difficult, but it was better than facing Indra and his shrewdly convoluted ways.

"We need to talk with Father."
Devayani's eyes widened. "What?!", she gasped. She would never have taken this decision of facing the Lord Rudra, who had burnt Kamadeva into a heap of ashes.