Swayamvar

The next morning, as the brothers sat to breakfast , Nakul teased Arjun,"Bhaiyya's eyes look so much brighter today.." he grinned exchanging looks with Sahadev. The two had been broken up yesternight by Krishnaa's giggling and the rustling in the bushes, thus they knew about the whole encounter. Arjun almost choked on his food. Kunti patted his back and scolded Nakul, "Isn't it a good thing Nakul??" Nakul pursed his lips to control his grin. Arjun narrowed his eyes at Nakul, and gave him a "SHUT UP!" glare...

Krishnaa was painting in her chamber -- a beautiful blue lotus under the Full moon, when her Sakha came in silently. He looked at the painting and continued examining it for a few minutes. There was a blue lotus amidst the dark blue waters. A wavy track, indicating maybe it's fragrance or something such, extended like a hand from its core to the glowing full moon in the dark sky. The moon also spread all it's glow and light around, as if trying to touch the lotus. It was a completely abstract painting with a deeper meaning, which Krishna partially assumed. And obviously, it was stunning. After Draupadi finished giving the final touches and kept her brush down, she turned to find Krisha standing there.
"Sakha.. Suprabhaat", she greeted with a radiant smile. "What is it that makes my Sakhi smile like this?" Krishna enquired with a smile, already knowing the real cause. Krishnaa smiled and blushed, and looked away. "Ohhh... Parth.. He must be fine now. And the cold war must have got over??" "Yes.." Krishnaa replied ,blushing, remembering yesternight's pleasant encounter.
Krishna came forward to his Sakhi and said in a firm assuring tone, "The lotus and the moon are destined to unite.. now and forever...."

In a day the preparations for the Swayamvar began. Drupad was determined to arrange the grandest swayamvar for the most desirable maiden of Aryavart.

"So, you are going?" Uruvi asked Karn. Karn looked at the door to see her coming in, disappointment etched on her face. "Yes Uruvi." Karn answered in a lowered but firm voice. Uruvi didn't know what to say. Why can't she be like Vrushali di? She is so normal and calm after hearing this. But Uruvi.... She can't help this feeling... Draupadi as her co-wife!!! That lady is beyond all arena of competition! And, Karn has quite a lot efficiency, especially if, as per the rumour she heard, the Swayamvar contest is regarding archery-- increasing his chances of winning her... She needs to stop thinking about it.

Draupadi woke up very early in the morning and after a set of rituals, she paid a visit to Mata Sati and Mahadev's temple.Then again she had to go through another set of rituals including the final suchi snaan and kesh vandhan, by her GuruMata. Then, it was her turn to get ready for the Swayamvar Sabha. She knew Arjun would come. His Madhav himself went and invited him specially. So she had selected a beautiful white lehenga with blue thread work -- Arjun's two favourite colours together. She kept her singaar subtle with heavily kohled eyes, light diamond jewelleries and a blue lotus in her hair. She looked too ethereal to be called even an angel...

Kunti wanted to bless Arjun as she knew it was his grand day. Arjun denied any special blessings and just did the regular pranam and set out with his brothers. As per the planning, they went to Kampilya roaming for Bheeksha. A kind man approached them and said, "Brahman yuvaano , I would suggest you go to the Swayamvar Sabha of Rajkumaari Draupadi. The King has arranged for special alms to the Brahmans who go to the Sabha today..." This was the cue, Krishna had asked them to wait for, so that there wasn't a single loophole anywhere in the plan.

As Duryodhan, Duhshasan, Karn, Ashwatthama, Shakuni, Rukmi and others entered the open sabha, they were welcomed with great grandeur. Shakuni went to the normal royal guests' seats, while the other sat as suitors. It was the first time, the Quadro of friends would compete against each other, fine still -- the maiden is worth of it all, they thought, building castles in the air.

Soon the announcement was made for Draupadi's entry. The ethereal Goddess entered the sabha with all her grace and grandeur, pranaming everybody, and took her seat beside the King, her Sakha, Dhrishtadyumn and Shikhandini. Maharaani Mohini blessed her daughter from the royal ladies' row, as Nitambini and Malini had tears of joy in their eyes-- their angel!!.. The suitors stared at her as if she was a goddess ascending straight down the stairs of Heaven. Karn hadn't expected himself to start wanting her this much. For the first time in his life, Ashwatthama felt like he was 'craving' for a lady...

Dhrishtadyumn came up and saluting everyone present in the sabha, wishing his sister and cheering the suitors, began with the rules of the competition. The sabha was all decked in gems and flowers and orchids and diyas.. and what not... In the centre of the hall roof was a wheel which was covered up till now. After the curtains were removed, he let everyone see a rotating crystal wheel with heavy gem-work on it, which made the competition tougher by its blinding shine and glow. Below it was a pool of water which reflected the wheel and the marble fish which was lightly visible through it. The contest was to hit the fish's blue eye, using only one arrow and the divine bow that was kept in the golden stand there, by seeing it's reflection on the water below.
One by one the mighty princes came up and tried their luck. Duryodhan wasn't ready to take the risk and get humiliated in front of everyone. He requested Karn, "Mitra, could you contest on behalf of me??" Karn was pretty hesitant. Shakuni assured him, "This is legal dear..", with a wicked grin.
It was Ashwatthama's turn. Dron and Bheeshm had been invited too. They sat in the special guests' row. Dron looked up at his own son and muttered under his breath, "No Son... This contest is meant only for my Arjun.. you can't..." His eyes filled with tears as he thought of his Priya Shishya, Krishnaa's true soulmate. Ashwatthama failed to hit the target, though he was the first to be able to lift the bow atleast. It was Karn's turn next. With an opposition deep down in his heart, he approached the arena. He entered the contest arena and announced, "I will contest on behalf of my dear friend, Prince Duryodhan of Hastinapur". No sooner had he finished his sentence, Krishnaa's firm voice rang loud and clear, "Wait!!" . Krishnaa stood up. "Who has granted you the permission to contest on behalf of someone else to WIN the princess as if she is some trophy?!" Krishnaa enquired, rather enraged, in a fiery voice. Arjun, who was watching the proceedings from the Brahman viewers' zone clenched his fist. How dare these morons objectify his Krishnaa?!
Duryodhan stood silent and embarrassed for a while, but the next moment something stroke his mind. "Fine... Let him contest for himself" he announced with a fake gentle smile. Shakuni looked at him smiling, silently applauding his tactics.
"No!" . The princess again announced. " I have two valid reasons to reject him as a contestant. First. No maiden would like to marry a man who works under someone else's commands. Second. He doesn't fulfill the criteria for valid participation. He is a king, but neither a prince, nor a yuvraaj." Karn immediately got where the twist was in the invite. He shot a glance at the fiery princess and there was a cold exchange between the two. Then, he retired to his seat.

"If not my Mitra, then whom?!?! Who else can crack this contest and marry the maiden?!" Duryodhan enraged. All the other suitors in the hall too started enraging at their own failures. This time Krishna stood up to calm them . Standing up and raising a palm up he said,"Calm down. Their are still people who can attend this contest. Brahmans always have full right to participate in any contest meant for the Kshatriyas. GuruDron Putra Ashwatthama is an example. Let the interested Brahmans contest too. Is there anybody amongst the Brahmans who wants to prove his worth and take the most desirable maiden's hand?!" Krishna enquired in a loud tone. Bheem and Nakul pushed Arjun forward. This was his cue. Suddenly another Brahman old man beside Arjun, took his hand and raising it up said, "This yuvaan will. He is an archer. Dear, won't you keep our face?!" He requested Arjun. This was more fuel than he wanted to his fire. Krishna looked at Krishnaa, who was too overjoyed to even say yes. He nodded the yuvaan to come forward.

Arjun approached the arena. He pranamed Krishna, Krishnaa, Maharaaj Drupad, Dhrishtadyumn, Shikhandini and without any mistake, his Gurudev and Pitamah.
As he picked up the bow, the whole sabha knew at once that this whole contest was meant for him.