Hidimba

Bheem stepped into the dark forbidden part of the forest. This is supposed to be that Hidimb's area. He moved ahead through the dry hanging roots of the clusters of dead trees. He had heard that Hidimb breathed poison. The condition of the forest here, almost reflected on the truth of that statement. He had fought mighty humans and animals earlier. But a demon.... never!! Thus he was pretty excited to even check whether the demons actually matched their descriptions of ferocity.

He moved a little more ahead, making his way through the dry undergrowth and hanging roots. As he went deeper and deeper, it became darker and darker. As if even the Sun didn't want to challenge the mighty demon.

Suddenly he heard an unexpected sob from the depths of the perilous darkness. Bheem was stunned. This was beyond unexpected. Bheem moved ahead through the dark forest, clearing his way through the dry canopies.

There she was . A modest looking lady, crying, leaning on the stump of a dry tree. Bheem slowly approached her. She slowly looked up at him, with tearful eyes. At this point, two doubts clouded on Bheem's subconscious.

Firstly, how did this girl come here without even clearing the forest path, which she evidently did not. Secondly, how does she resist being shocked at his sudden appearance, when he himself is pretty astonished at her unexpected presence. But, instead, she looked at him, with her eyes embodying an unexpected expression --- as if she was waiting for him. Bheem knelt beside her. In a voice, as gentle as possible for Bheemsen, he asked, " What's the matter lady? Who are you and why are you here, crying??" Bheem couldn't help the curiosity of his mind from being expressed in his voice.

The lady continued her sobbing. However she decreased the intensity and replied to Bheem, "That demon has killed and devoured my parents. We had been abducted by him from the outskirts of the nearby tribal village, where we originally belong. I somehow managed to run away and save my life. But I am pretty sure that if I keep on roaming here, within this forbidden forest area, like this, either he will hunt me down too, or I will die of starvation." She again started sobbing. Bheem felt really bad for the girl. Such a sweet girl and such negative turn of fate. He decided to take her to Indraprasth, after defeating the cruel Rakshas. He extended his hand to her. The girl looked at Bheem with salient wonder in her eyes and held his hand with her cold, hesitant hand. "You must be knowing where that rascal is?!!" Bheem asked angrily, with a certain softness in his voice. She lowered her eyes, as if repentant for something. She then slowly pointed towards a corner of the forest, which led into a huge cavern of darkness.

Bheem approached the cavern. Hidimba stood back there. This man is taking up this challenge for her sake. Her eyes became moisty. For the first time ever she prayed for her brother's defeat. As Bheem faced the cavern entrance, Hidimba emotionally crumbled under the weight of her guilt. She is the main working force behind her brother's plan to trap the mighty Bheemsen.

" Come out !! You fool!!", Bheem roared. Slowly a huge shadowy figure appeared in the darkness. Hidimba knew her brother's plan to attack Bheem from the darkness. She immediately reached out at lightning speed and pulled Bheem away. Now Bheem saw her real form. She was none but an ugly Rakshasi. In a moment the whole scenario of the plot became clear to him. He instantly shrugged off from her grip and glared at her. " You!! Betrayer! Liar!!", Hidimba moved back.

The ferocious looking Hidimb stepped out from the blind darkness of the cavern. He also glared at Hidimba, " How dare you betray your brother!! I'll make you pay for this.!!" Now, Bheem understood what had actually happened. " Let's see who makes whom pay!!" Bheem roared back...

Soon the fight began. Bheem's mace and a few more uprooted dry tree trunks, worked their usual magic in Bheem's hands. After some time and a bloody fight, where most of the blood was shed from Hidimb, Hidimb was defeated and killed by Bheem.

Leaving his corpse, Bheem approached Hidimba, and holding her hands, said, "Thankyou..."

Hidimba's tears now escaped her eyes.  "What will happen of me, now?" She sobbed . Bheem felt sad for her, but they are only paying for their sins.

Hidimba suddenly fell to his feet. "Rajkumar, I know this would sound next to impossible. But please, marry me. You need not accept me as your wife, socially. Just marry me, so that the Rakshas Kul doesn't perish away. Please Rajkumar.." She begged on. Bheem knew that marrying her and taking a Rakshasi to Indraprasth is next to impossible.

Hidimba stood up. Holding Bheem's hands she said, "I understand your predicament. You needn't take me to Indraprasth. I further promise that neither me, nor our child will ever cross into the boundaries of Indraprasth. Now, you can come with me to the Rakshas Village and marry me, because as per our rule , the man who defeats the King , i.e., my brother, becomes the King. You can also send a letter to Indraprasth, informing them."

Bheem agreed to her logics.

They went to the Rakshas Village.

Soon the news of their marriage and the birth of their son Ghatotkach from the Blood Ahuti of Bheem, reached Indraprasth. A broad-minded Krishnaa was even ready to welcome Hidimba and Ghatotkach to Indraprasth.

Bheem returned after a few months. He couldn't lengthen his stay there any further because Arjun had to leave for the nationwide conquest, as soon as possible.