• it was anakin all along •

based on the dreams of my 14 year old emo self

modern high school AU!!

warning: angst, fluff, reader suffers from slight 'not like other girls' syndrome, anakin is an adorable bunny

From where you and Anakin always sit in the library, you constantly overhear private, saucy conversations happening on the other side of the bookcase. People assume that they're out of earshot of anyone else- but they never are.

"I've had it, Peter," Mrs. Sakura says in a hushed voice. "I can't keep doing this to Jerry."

You and Anakin share a wide-eyed look. It has been a while since Mrs. Sakura and Mr. Sutcliffe have come to have a whispered discussion about their ongoing affair, and you had assumed it was over.

"You can't expect me to just get over you, Lili," Mr. Sutcliffe replies with a pained voice. "I love-"

"Don't," She cuts him off harshly, making Anakin grab your hand tightly. "It's over, Pete. No more lunch breaks in your car."

She storms out of the library and Mr. Sutcliffe trudges behind.

"Poor guy," Anakin mumbles with a pout, while you snort.

"They fucked in his car during lunch breaks," You whisper with a laugh. "Holy shit. I fucking love this library." Shyly, he begins laughing along, his cheeks flushing pink.

Soon, a group of Anakin's other friends walk in, giving him friendly nods before looking you up and down and sitting at a table on the other side of the library. You're used to their stoic dismissal of you, just how Anakin is used to your other friends' dismissal of him.

Anakin and you have been best friends since you were five years old. Over the last 13 years, you have each changed a lot. When he chose the stage, you chose your bedroom with your headphones on. While he rehearses for musicals and plays, you're convincing tattoo artists to give you cheap deals on secret piercings. Yes, Anakin is the theatre geek to your emo, but your friendship isn't as shallow so as to end because of a few differing opinions and hobbies.

Your seemingly odd friendship, no matter how long your classmates have known you, is always a hot topic.

"How are they even friends?"

"He's basically a puppy and she's like... a dragon."

"She for sure has done some black magic on him so she can make him do her homework."

One person who surprisingly doesn't partake in the mindless gossip is the captain of the football team- your hopeless crush, Dennis Gunderson.

"He's so dreamy," You say blankly during lunch, not letting your giddiness show on your face. It's a Wednesday, so you're spending it with Anakin. It's an unspoken rule that Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are your days together. Your other friends and his other friends begrudgingly understand, though it doesn't stop them from looking over at you both with slight disdain every now and then.

"You still have a thing for Dennis?" Anakin asks with a frown while you stare over his shoulder with a dazed look.

"Mhm," You mumble. Anakin's the only one you can tell about your crush; your other friends would likely kill you for treason. Preppy footballers don't exactly fit into your lifestyle.

Dennis' eyes meet yours, but you don't look away. This isn't the first time he's caught you staring, and after his reaction the first few times, you've learnt to keep your gaze on him. And, just like all those times before, he shoots you a casual wink before looking away.