• no matter what •

It was unavoidable. For weeks, you had been feeling a disturbance in the Force. Along with that came the dreams; scenes of your husband murdering younglings and turning to the Dark Side.

You put it down to an overactive imagination at first, but as the dreams became more intense and vivid, you couldn't help but be concerned. Anakin had been in love with you for years, so it would be impossible for him not to notice your anxiety. This caused you to spend less time with him, and he unfortunately was too distracted with becoming a Sith Lord to realise. 

Once Yoda, Obi-Wan and you returned to Coruscant after surviving the attack of the clones that Palpatine had sent out, they revealed what you had feared most of all: Anakin had turned to the Dark Side. And you had no choice but to go after him.

You arrived at Mustafar, your heart racing as you stepped off of the ship. Seconds passed before Anakin appeared before you, a look of concern on his face.

"Y/N, I saw your ship arriving," He said, pulling you in for a hug. "I'm so glad you're safe."

You pulled away, your eyebrows knitted in a frown. "What's going on, Anakin? I've been feeling this pit of dread for so long, and now Obi-Wan tells me ... you murdered the Padawans? You turned to the Dark Side?"

Anakin's eyes darkened as he took your hands in his. "He poisoned you against me, my love."

"You murdered those children," You said, your voice wavering. "Windu, Plo Koon, Ali-Alann, countless others... all dead. You could have stopped it all."

"They abandoned me," He said, frowning. "Don't you abandon me, too."

"You pursued the Dark Side for your own selfish wants!" You argued, pulling your hands from his grip. "You betrayed the Jedi!"

Anakin's eyes narrowed. "I did it for you, Y/N. I did it so that I could protect you, protect you from death!"

"I didn't want protection!" You yelled, angry at his ignorance. "I never wanted immortality, Anakin! The only thing I wanted from you was... was your love."

"The Empire is at our hands; in our control," Anakin said, confused at your opposition to his betrayal. "We can live freely with no restrictions."

"Those restrictions are put in place for a reason," You uttered, losing all your patience with him. "So that people like Palpatine can't just murder innocents in cold blood! No matter what, I love you. But I can't let you get away with this."

"If you're not with me, Y/N, then you're against me," He said with a pained voice, looking down at you intently. 

"Then I'm against you," You repeated monotonously before taking out your lightsaber and igniting it. 

A look of shock flashed across his features but was quickly replaced with anger as he stepped back and took out his own saber, immediately holding it up. "Do not do this, Y/N. I understand that you've been influenced by the Jedi's lies, so I'll give you another chance to rethink what you're doing."

Your breathing was heavy as you tightened your grip on the handle, trying with all your strength to keep your tears at bay. "I've done my thinking, Anakin. It's your turn to realise what you've done. The devastation you've caused. You've broken my heart."

He stepped towards you, filling you with fear. "Put it down, Y/N. Don't start something you know you can't win."

You took in a sharp breath and lashed out at him, but his reflexes were quick. Your sabers clashed and you were pushed back, planting your feet firmly on the ground. He came at you but you used the Force to pull some crates and hit him with them, sending him to the ground. He recovered quickly, standing up and glaring at you. Your sabers clashed again as you fought him, stepping further backwards. You suddenly felt yourself fly back and your back hit the wall. Sinking to the ground slowly, you let out a groan.

"You cannot win against the Dark Side, Y/N," Anakin said gravely, standing over you. "You can never win."

"Do you hear yourself? You're on the Dark Side!" You said with narrowed eyes as you got back onto your feet. "I never thought you would turn your back on our love, let alone the entire Jedi Order."

"You turned your back on me!" He yelled, causing a crate to crash into your side. "You all did!"

Bringing up your lightsaber, you ran to him, colliding your swords together. You reached the end of the balcony and felt a strong heat hit your face as you overlooked the sea of lava. Anakin used the Force to pull you away from the edge and into the control room where you crashed onto a table. You were in pain, but you did your best to hide it as you kept your face straight, scrambling to stand on your feet again. Seeing the look of pure rage on Anakin's face, you realised you had underestimated how much he had changed. You grabbed your signal and sent a call out to Obi-Wan, telling him you needed his help. 

"We could have ruled the Empire together," Anakin said as he walked into the control room, his nose flared. "We would have been the most powerful Sith Lords in the galaxy; nothing could stop us."

"This isn't you, Anakin," You said, trying not to shiver at the sheer fear that had filled you. "You are not the man I married."

"You're right," He said, nodding slowly. "I'm stronger." With that, he attacked again, raising his hand to you. You felt your throat tighten as you gasped for air, his eyes intently on yours. "You can stop this, Y/N. You can save yourself. Just join me."

He held out his hand, his other still choking you, as you glanced down. Something drew you to him, as you still had love for him, but you knew he wasn't the man you loved. He only shared the same face. With a sputter, you used the last of your strength to bring up your saber and slice off his gloved hand, causing him to step back with a hiss.

"Wrong choice, Y/N," Anakin sneered as you caught your breath, before raising his lightsaber and stabbing you in the chest.

You gasped, your body sinking to the floor. He followed you down, dropping his saber and holding your hand. "I'm sorry, Y/N. I'm so sorry."

The tears finally spilled over as you coughed up some blood. Anakin held you tightly in your arms, a pained look on his face.

"I'm sorry too, Anakin," You said, hating that he had become the very evil you spent your life fighting against. "I'm sorry I... I couldn't save you from the Dark Side."

You felt another presence and you knew that Obi-Wan had arrived. The look on Anakin's face told you that he had noticed it too, as the pain on his face turned back to anger. He stood up to leave but you pulled him down, cupping his face in your hands.

"I love you, Anakin," You cried, every breath hurting your chest.

"I will always love you, Y/N," He replied, and for a moment you heard the man you married in his voice. "Nothing could stop me from loving you."

He placed a kiss to your lips and you took your last breath, your eyes fluttering closed as you finally died in the arms of the man who would always have your love, no matter what.