Off Limits Part 14

Why the fuck is your earring in my man's car, Toni!?

Ella leans into my ear, hurling her words at me through her gritted teeth. Her strong, alcoholic breath slaps me dead in the face, upon her dangling my earring in front of my face. I sit here, staring blankly at the earring, with my lips slightly parted...I am speechless...

"Speak dammit!" Ella yells.

She hits the table before me, causing me to jump and scream simultaneously. My eyes began to water...

"Ella, that's enough!" Michael jumps up from his chair.

Like an arrow, narrowing on its target, Ella's eyes dart across the room to Michael...

"Excuse you? I'll deal with you in a second. But I do believe I was addressing Toni."

"There's no need to drag Toni into what is obviously a problem between us."

"Funny you should say that, giving you've probably buried your problems deep inside of her!"

The two began to bicker back and forth at the table...Hell, if it wasn't for the table between them, Ella probably would've hit Michael. She lunges at him twice, and Michael did have to back up slightly to avoid her hand. I look over at Olivia, who has not said a word, or intervened yet. She only looks at Michael with eyes to kill.

Though I am very aware this will cause a wedge in our relationship, it is now or never I must confess...

"Michael and I slept together, Ella."

The yelling stops. The arguing ceases...The silence becomes thick. Ella twists her neck in my direction...I can feel the heat from her rage radiating over my body...

"You did what!?" She says breathlessly.

I stand from my chair, toe to toe with her...I want to make sure she hears every word.

"It was this past summer. You and I haven't seen each other in months prior. I met Michael at a club and...we had an affair. I swear on everything I didn't know you two were dating. That was until I saw him with you that night you invited me out. And for the life of me...I've tried so hard to work up the courage to tell you; but, when I saw how happy you two were, I decided not to say anything."

I watch her expressions...She closes her eyes while shaking her head profusely...I am assuming she's taking in everything I just said. I wanted to reach out and take her hand and comfort her...But, I doubt that'll be the best thing to do at this moment.

"Ella...I am truly sorry. You have to believe that."

"Why didn't you say anything that day when we went to the café? And you heard me pouring my heart out to you about how shaky things were between Michael and I. You didn't say a mumbling word. But you sat back and let me have egg on my face."

"I am not saying I was right, Ella! But you have to understand, I was in a tough position. I didn't know what your reaction was going to be. For months, I've been carrying around this damn guilt."

"Of course, I was going to be mad, what would you expect? But don't you think it would've been better for me to hear it then, than now?"

The room fills with silence once again. She takes a few steps back away from me. She looks over at Michael, then at me...The tears begin to stream down her face...I feel so damn bad...She sobs softly while looking at Michael.

"Please tell me why the fuck her earring was in your car...A-Are you two still sleeping together?"

The last sentence was hard for her to process. She gasps repeatedly while trying to catch her breath...I want to just wrap my arms around her to hug her...