One

It was a beautiful day, warmer than usual, but also less dry, with cool winds kissing his pale skin. The rays of the sun made their way through the thick blanket of leaves and spread a pleasant glow on the surfaces of the tombstones.

On that day the cemetery was particularly beautiful. It was precisely those days that reminded Regis why he hadn't left this place long ago.

With a satisfied smile, he looked up to the treetops, where some of his ravens fought over a small mouse.

With nimble movements, the vampire continued to burrow with his hands into the earth, particularly carefully so that the roots of his flower would not be damaged. It was a beautiful flower, in his opinion the most beautiful flower of all. Red poppy was not too penetrating and inconspicuous between the many herbs and the weeds that had lodged between the graves.

When he had settled on the graveyard, the flowers had been wild and the cemetery a sad shadow of its past self.

Regis had taken the time to grow some herbs, plants and flowers so that they bloomed beautifully and spread their sweet fragrance. And although the poppy among the many wild flowers was more noticeable than a daisy, he had taken the risk to plant at least a few of them.

Now the flower had grown too big and had to be moved so that it did not immediately draw attention to the entrance to his resting place.

Behind the cemetery, in a clearing he would have liked to plant it, but there Dettlaff had started drawing and writing poetry more often and Regis didn't want him to pick the flowers for artistic purposes.

Instead, he had chosen an old flowerbeds that he had repaired with rocks before. With one of the flowers in his arms, Regis walked along the small path while whistling a song. For some reason, he was in a particularly good mood that day, even though the sun was not his favorite companion.

There was a feeling inside his chest, that something was about to happen. Something good of course, like the reunion with a friend.

The smell of fresh grass and wet soil was in the air, while the butterflies danced around the flowers and fought with the bees over the nectar. From time to time one heard the call of a raven that had laid down in the grass to sunbathe.

It was truly paradise on earth, just as it was at that moment. He wouldn't have wanted another place to study and garden. He could grow his own herbs, stay up until the sun came back up again and his neighbours were pleasantly silent.

Humming, he began to move the flowers to their new place, with each time his hands became more dirty and moist soil began to collect under his fingernails. This feeling always chased goosebumps over his skin.

It smelled like rainwater.

The hours ran by while Regis made the flowerbeds more beautiful, arranged the flowers in a circle and planted white herb in the middle of them, which looked a bit like mint but would only have been of use to a witcher. Or a vampire.

"Still busy with your plant-based offspring?", suddenly the amused voice of Dettlaff sounded behind him.

Regis had almost forgot about him, usually his friend disappeared without a word and came back when he felt like it. Sometimes he would say a goodbye but he usually like to be by himself.

Or around Syanna.

However, that bitch was dead and, without lying, Regis was quite happy about that.

But that day Dettlaff also seemed to be in a good mood. He even smiled when Regis turned his head and looked at him.

"I take it you don't want to help me?", he asked.

Dettlaff shook his head.

"I'd probably break the roots. Would be a shame to ruin your hard work. They look very healthy. Almost magical."

"Probably.", Regis laughed.

With a sarcastic grin, Dettlaff sat down on a wall, leaned back and listened as Regis began to whistle again.

"You must love it here. Haven't experienced you this calm and satisfied like this in a while. Maybe never.", Dettlaff closed his eyes, a sigh escaped his lips.

For a moment it remained so harmonious. It was quiet, Dettlaff even almost fell asleep. It was unusual for a vampire, but he probably had never had so few worries as he had on that day.

Regis couldn't complain either, he had a roof over his head, enough food and drinks and all the time the world had to offer him. Of course, as a higher vampire, he wouldn't have needed all these things, but it was nice to have them anyway.

"Ah, the gardener from the cemetery. Does the work pay well, or are you doing it out of pure charity?", the voice that suddenly cut through the silence was well known to Regis.

Dettlaff, however, was surprised by the man and reacted accordingly. All at once he opened his eyes, his claws were already long and sharp. He was about to jump on the guy, so Regis jumped in and pinned him into the grass.

"Calm down, Dettlaff. You know the Witcher. His name is Geralt. Remember?", checking Regis looked over his shoulder to see if the Witcher was unharmed.

"Is that the Witcher who delivered Syanna to me?", asked the black-haired, his hands still in the air, ready to attack.

"Sure am. Call me Geralt.", the Witcher stretched out his hand, to help Dettlaff getting up. "I'd say pleased to meet you again, but the first time wasn't really a happy meeting."

"It wasn't for you.", Dettlaff replied. "It did give me some peace. You have my gratitude for that."

With a polite smile, he took the Witcher's hand, very much to Regis relieve.

"So, now that we have settled this, let's go get a drink!", Regis smiled. "I'm sure you've got a lot to tell, my friend."

Geralt nodded.

"Always do."