Thirty-Nine

It was loud. So incredibly loud that it felt like as if your ears were going to explode.

Screaming, you fell through the portal, hitting the ground like a wet sack full of sand that had no possibility of standing up straight. With a loud grunt, you jumped up.
Anger was burning in you eyes.

"What the fuck?!", you shouted, ready to fight someone. "You could have warned me!"

You twirled around to face the illusion, on,y to realise that it had not entered the portal with you. Instead, it had disappeared, leaving you all by yourself.

"Oh great... as if I would know where to go now. Just leave me on my own. Maybe I'll find the crazy guy that has made you."

"I fear your search won't last long.", a sharp voice suddenly said.

Frightened, you jumped, turned around again and faced the man that who's face had accompanied you for a good amount of time. However, even though he looked exactly like his illusion, he was having a much friendlier expression on his face. It was a thin smile, almost honest.

Carefully, he eyed you up and down, before nodding approving.

"I hope the entrance was not too harsh.", he pointed at the inactive portal. "I had no other choice but to guide you through it."

A little less scared but more curious you raised an eyebrow to question him.

"Why? Has it a special purpose?", you asked, daring to take a look around the cave.

This one was smaller. A lot smaller to be exact. It had about the size of Regis home at the cemetery, but the dealing was a lot higher and the space a lot more occupied. The smell of alcohol and firewood was in the air.

Everywhere you looked, there was something to discover, like a bookshelf, tables full of paper and herbs or strange glass containers, filled with liquids. Some of the containers would have been big enough to fit an entire human being inside of them.

"Do you like it here?", Ulez asked, as he noticed the interested shimmer in your (E/C) eyes. "Do you remember something?"

Confused, you frowned.

"Remember? Was I here before?"

An amused laughter made his chest vibrate. It was a bright laughter, loud and happy. But there seemed to be no emotion in it. It was just the simple movement of his lips, paired with a noise.

You remembered this laugh. It had kept you awake a few nights. But not because of happiness.

What was this feeling that was awaking inside of you, as his laughter filled your ears?

Tension?

Caution?

Or fear?

Before you were able to make up your mind about him, he already reached out, grabbing you by the wrist and pulled you closer.

"It's fine, I'm sure you will remember soon enough. Right now I'm just happy that you returned.", with a smile, he pulled you into a hug.

You remembered this also. He must have hugged you quite often, since his scent was familiar to your nose and the warmth of his body seemed not too unpleasant.

As if by reflex, your arms wrapped around his torso, pulling him even closer. With a deep sigh, you pressed your face into the side of his neck and closed your eyes.

The memories about hugs like this filled your head. He had been close to you. Very close. But somehow you couldn't shake off this strange feeling that came with the memories. You couldn't tell what this darkness was, that was dancing around the corners of these memories. It was strange, as if the past had been terrible yet pleasant equally.

"I... I don't remember a lot.", you mumbled against his skin.

He smelled like dried blood and raw meat.

Carefully, he separated form you, stepped back and went silent for a moment. Then, he smiled again. Even more pleased this time.

"So the spell works. That is great news.", he said and pulled you with him to one of the desks.

Full of energy, he grabbed a needle and a strange thing that looked like a huge syringe and wanted to see your arm.

Irritated, you pulled back. The speed and matter of course that he was interacting intimidated you.

Did he knew you so well?

Had your return been planned?

He acted as if everything was going according to plan. But you neither knew what kind of plan nor did you knew what part you were playing in it. It seemed, however, that you had worked together, since he raised an eyebrow to question your hesitation.

"Are you all right? Hurlette?", he asked.

Irritated, you tilted your head and stepped back.

"Who is Hurlette?", you asked.

The word made something inside of you move. But it didn't not break free right away.

"It doesn't work?", hesitantly, Ulez looked at you as if a world had been shattered before his very eyes. "But... that can't be. It must work. It must...! Hurlette! Hurlette!"

Over and over again, he screamed the word as if it was supposed to crack your shell open, to reveal the true nature inside. But all he achieved was to make you feel uncomfortable. He seemed to be out of his mind.

"I- I don't know what you're saying...", again, you stepped back.

This time, he noticed. And it made him angry. With a sour expression on his face, he rushed forward and grabbed you by the wrist again, only to pull you back with one harsh pull.

"It must work! We have tested it multiple times, why wouldn't it work now?!", he hissed. "Are you even real? Or are you just trying to fool me?"

"N-No! I don't know what you're talking about!", helpless, you wiggled in his grip, trying to break yourself free.

This grip was familiar. The pain that it caused was familiar.

The hart began to beat inside of your chest as if was for your life. Scared, you flinched, as he came even closer in order to look you right in the eyes.

A sharp pain was growing inside your brain. It felt like a thousand knifes stabbing you from the inside.

"Let go!", you screamed.

Suddenly, the pain inside your head exploded. Pictures rushed before your inner eyes, making you see stars. A heatwave washed over you. At that moment, it was all too much to bare.

A loud, sharp scream of pain left your lips. As if a ghost had possessed you, your eyes twisted until, there was only white and you threw your head back. Your entire body was shaking and twitching.

Then, everything went black.