Thirty-Five

Struck by a sharp, burning pain in your chest, you awoke form your slumber. It was as if some had stabbed you on the chest, leaving a deep bleeding hole. It was terrible, causing tears and a soft sob to escape your lips.

What was that?

Still a little overwhelmed by the pain, you turned your head. Your hands were searching for Regis, maybe he had changed sides to lay next to you. But he was nowhere to be found. Confused, you got up, looking left and right, hoping he was just laying somewhere else. Maybe he had been bothered by you moving while sleeping and had looked for another place to rest.

But the cave was empty.

You were all by yourself.

"Re... Regis?", you're voice was shaking.

He was gone.

A blanked had disappeared, his bag was gone and his shoes were missing too. Only a bit of bread and cheese had been left behind. And a dried flower. A poppy.

Silence wrapped around you, spreading the feeling of cold and loneliness. It was like a hug from darkness itself.

He was really gone.

Tears filled the corner of your eyes as you picked up the flower and realisation began to hit you. It was like ice water that had been thrown into your face without any warning or expecting it. It was terrible.

But why?

Why was he gone?

Everything had seemed so dreamy yesterday. It had seemed as it he was in love, as if he really wanted you. He had smiled so much, had hugged you. His lips had been on yours!

So why was he gone now?

Why did he leave you alone?

Overwhelmed by this pain mixed with the unanswered questions, you began to cry ugly tears. But the tears of sadness quickly faded and they became tears of anger and frustration. Clenching your teeth together, you jumped up, not letting the pain overwhelm your mind. The heart hurt like a bitch but the rational side, the side that was developing anger towards him, was already preparing a plan.

If Regis wanted to leave then so shall he have his freedom. You would find out the truth yourself, you were smart enough and did not need his help. But it hurt even more when you remembered that he had given you a promise. Breaking it this early did not seem to suite him.

"Whatever.", you hissed and looked at the statures. "How do I solve this goddamn riddle now?!"

Your face still covered in tears, you began to search the statues another time. This time however, you were driven by anger. A lot of anger.

Driven by this anger, you searched the statues over and over again, hoping to find a hidden switch or a path that the stone figures hid behind their backs. But as many times as you looked at stature after stature and paid attention to the smallest detail, nothing could be found.

Frustrated, you screamed out loud, tore your hand up and hit one of the statures. With a loud bang, the face of the man who had held the child in his arms shatters. Dust swirled up. Cracks began to spread in the Body of stone, pieces broke out and it began to collapse in itself. The stones buried your hand in the pile of rubble and ashes and trapped it.

"Damn it.", you cursed annoyed and tried to pull your hand out of the rocks.

But the heavy stones didn't move a bit, and using more force would have torn your arm off.

"Ugh.", a heavy sigh left your lips. "Great. Really great."

At that moment, your patience was so strained that you couldn't help but pull back your arm with a harsh jerk. As you moved, the sharp stones cut open your entire hand, causing blood to flow out like a river. But at that moment, it couldn't have bothered you any less.

You shrugged your shoulders as you watched wordlessly the red blood as it ran down your arm and dripped to the floor. It was strange, there was no pain that drove tears into your eyes or the need to tend to the wound.

Instead, the desire to let the blood flow grew inside your chest.

But as you watched the liquid life escape your veins, an idea awoke in the back of your head.

Carefully you approached the statures, released a few drops of blood to fall on their pedestals and waited. It had worked once before. But there was no guarantee for it to work a second time. Maybe you just poured your blood on a stone like you were obsessed with the devil.

But a feeling in the back of your head said it was worth a try.

A few moments passed until the silence became so unbearable that you had to start tapping your foot on the ground to avoid going crazy. When after a few more moments still nothing happened, you sighed.

"It would have been too easy.", you murmured and wanted to lean with your back against one of the statures.

But there was no stature left. And there wasn't a wall either.

Surprised, you stumbled back, lost your balance and fell down the steps of a staircase. You hit your head so hard that nausea tied your throat and the light began to dance before your eyes.

A headache struck you, everything was moving and rolling. The light was so bright that it hurt to look at.

With your eyes squeezed shut, you stopped moving and let yourself fall down the stairs, which seemed to have no end.

Every single step was like a brick that hit the most sensitive stops in your body. It almost felt like every single bone inside of you was shattering.

Pain spread through all of your limbs. The feeling of a burning spread in your chest, making it hard to breath properly.

At the end of those stairs, your body was covered with bruises, red spots and some bloody cuts where the skin had burst.

Huffing and coughing, you rolled onto your stomach, equally exhausted and hurt.

"Well this is not how to use stairs properly.", a voice suddenly said.

Breathing heavily, you raised your eyes to look into the face of the same man that you had encountered at the very beginning. It was still just an illusion, but it looked a lot more human now and a little less like a ghost.

"You...", you gasped.

"Ulez.", said the man. "Vampire Ulez of Ferd. Your creator. Pleased to meet you."