Thirteen

Regis was a very quiet man, even for a vampire. The way he spoke made people know that he was wise, that his knowledge knew little bounds. And yet he always managed to remain polite and was never intrusive with his intelligence.

When he told you about his former days, you couldn't believe he was talking about himself. The man sitting next to you and the man he was talking about seemed to be two completely different beings. Apparently, he also was a little embarrassed, because the more he told, the more reddened he got.

He talked about parties, meeting friends and how much blood he had drank at the time. He even told you about how he had lost his head while being dead drunk and high on a blood rush.

He didn't spare a single detail.

His honesty and self reflection almost scared you.

"I'm sorry, I don't talk to other people often. Except with Geralt, of course, but he doesn't come by that often. And Dettlaff already knows my stories.", Regis smiled, blushing. "I guess I've been talking too long. You should go to sleep. It's already late. Tomorrow's another day."

"If you insist.", you had to yawn.

Even if half of your body was the one of a vampire, the other half was human. And that human half was dying for some good, long sleep. It felt like you hadn't slept for three days and three nights. You wished you'd drop dead.

When you almost fell asleep at the table, Regis rushed forward, picked you up with ease and took you in his arms.

He was surprisingly strong, at least he didn't seem to care how heavy you were.

Fogged with tiredness, you leaned your head against his chest. It was soft and surprisingly comfortable, although he was not particularly muscular or fat.

With ease he carried you over to his camp, where he had laid out blankets and a thin mattress to make himself comfortable when he rested. He gently put you down, you were almost asleep, took a blanket and covered you up to get rid of the cold.

Out of narrow eyes you looked up to him, a mild smile was on your lips.

"Thank you, Regis.", you whispered. "How gentle you are... as a vampire."

You did not think about your actions. You just reached out, stroked over the soft skin of his cheek and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"Oh my.", he giggled, amused by your carelessness. "Does the lack of sleep make you loose your mind? Or are you suddenly attracted to me?"

You had to laugh silently.

"Maybe, maybe... maybe I'll tell you tomorrow. Right now... I need to...", you did not finish the sentence.

The world of dreams and darkness had already swallowed every inch of you.

"Sleep tight.", he whispered.

For a moment, he stroked through the strands of your (H/C) hair, playing with them between his fingers. Then, he had to smile, so gently and amused, it was strange. He had not smiled like that in a while.

The picture that his eyes showed him, you sleeping, covered in his blankets, was strangely satisfying to him.

He liked this view.

Perhaps, he would have been able to get used to it.
But he quickly shook off that thought. He shouldn't think that way. He wasn't allowed to think like that.

Regis was still unsure of what would happen after he had finished his research about you. Maybe he would have to face the consequences, maybe it would cost him his life.

But if fate meant well to him, then maybe it would be possible to send you out into the world without anyone dying.

Maybe he could travel with you, show you the many beautiful, yet cruel places this human world had to offer. If what you said was true, then he could have shown you anything and it would have been new to you. Waterfalls, the sea, the mountains with their snowy peaks.

He wondered how you would react when you would see snow for the very first time of your life.

A painful sense of nostalgia spread through his chest as Regis thought of all the places he had seen in his long life. At that time, he had been as free as a being could be.

Every day he had discovered a different country. Every day he had tasted different foods and smelled different flowers. But as beautiful as the time had been, he had always felt lonely.

Now it was different. He had Dettlaff, the most loyal friend he had ever had. Probably even more loyal than Geralt. Whenever Regis needed good advice, he could go to Orianna without having to travel hundreds of miles.

And if he was honest with himself, he didn't think the cemetery was bad at all. He had made himself comfortable, the tombs kept him company, and the ravens had become his friends.

If he needed something, herbs or roots, all he had to do was go into the garden and take it.

He liked the work and gardening. It was a quiet life, but that's what the vampire loved so much about it. Rarely before had he felt so alive and needed.

And still.

Somehow there was this pain in his chest, this longing for distance. He wanted to go where the cold wind sang between the mountains and the flowers were still wild. But the cemetery was his home.

A heavy sigh left his lips as he closed his eyes and lay down next to you on the mattress.

"Oh, yes, the great agony of choice.", he muttered, looking at you. "You certainly don't have those problems. You care where you come from and what's gonna happen. But believe me, once you're my age, you'll be grateful for what you don't know. Because when you know everything and have seen everything, the world becomes boring."

For a moment, he lay so close to you, silence surrounded you both. Then he had to laugh quietly, turned his head and closed his eyes to rest a little.

You were still trapped in dreamland. None of his words had reached you.