Sixteen

The estate that Orianna called her home was far bigger than you could have imagined. There was a courtyard where there was room for a fountain, people were standing around everywhere, dancing, singing or just having fun while the good wine from Beauclair flowed in streams.

The smell of lots of different kinds of alcohol hung in the air like a heavy perfume. It was loud. Somewhere in the distance, music was playing, while somewhere else a woman's voice was singing songs of heartbreak and fear.

To your surprise, most of the guests were human. Only once in a while Regis led you past people who looked at you with evil eyes. Apparently they knew what you were and had been there when Regis took on the burden of guarding a crossbreed.

The thought of you being a stain of shame to the vampire race made you ashamed. With an unpleasant feeling in your chest, you lowered your gaze and let Regis guide you further.

The whole time, he had been holding your hand tightly, like he was trying to protect you from getting lost in this huge house full of strangers. He led you up a staircase, down a long corridor, and finally stopped in front of a door.

"Let me speak first.", he said over his shoulder. "She doesn't like to be disturbed in her rooms. But I'm sure she has no objection to our visit. And don't be nervous. She's usually cold at first, but she can be very nice if she likes you."

Skeptically, you looked him in the eye.

"I don't think she'll like me.", you muttered, wrapped in your own insecurity.

You were sure Orianna was a noble woman who didn't have time for ordinary people. You were sure she only liked the most clever, the most gifted people. Painters, poets, singers and diplomats.

You didn't wonder she was friends with Regis. He was intelligent and kind. Everyone would want to be friends with someone like him.

But with you?

Not necessarily everyone. Especially not vampires who saw you as a threat.

But Regis did not believe in that.

"Don't say that.", he said, as if he felt insulted. "I'm sure she will love you. She has a soft spot for special people. That's why she and I are friends. Oh, and Dettlaff of course. And believe me when I say, he is a special case when it comes to socialising."

He smiled confidently, squeezed your hand, and turned around again to knock on the door. For a moment, you held your breath and listened to see if something was moving.

Then a soft sound sounded as if someone was running away. Steps receded, someone seemed to be climbing out of a window.

"Just a minute!", the voice of a woman on the other side shouted.

A short time later the door opened and a lady appeared. She had bright red hair that she had braided into a hairstyle. The dress made of dark fabric with red embroideries suited her particularly well. Black lace wrapped her arms and made it look like sleeves.

You remembered her. She had been present on that day.
A happy smile appeared on her face as she saw Regis and she leaned over at once to take him in her arms.

"Regis, my dear, how unexpected to see you here. I thought you didn't like my parties?", she laughed and glanced behind him.

Her mood seemed well, maybe because of the fresh scent of blood that was sticking to her.

But when she noticed you, her joy quickly fared away. Her mouth twitched, formed an unsure smiled, before she stepped aside and pulled Regis inside the chamber.

You were pulled with him, due to his grip that had not loosened around your hand.

Quickly, Orianna closed the door behind her, looking at Regis for a moment. She seemed to be unsure what to do next. Her facial expression switched between concern and anger. Thankfully, or rather to your disappointment, her change of emotions was because of Regis and not you.

"You brought this thing here?", her voice was only a whisper. "Why did you think this was a good idea?"

Immediately, Regis frowned in disappointment.

"Orianna, please, don't be rude. This is (Y/N). You should be a little more welcoming.", he demanded, holding tight onto you. "I've promised you would be a great host. I wanted to show how great your parties are. And the entertainment."

"I am trying to be a good host. But Regis, this is not the time nor the place for a crossbreed. I have invited a lot of our brothers and sisters to forget the recent events. A lot of them are... concerned to say the least. They fear that (Y/N) will be a threat."

"I assure you there is nothing to be concerned about."

"Your word is not worth a lot, Regis. If anything happens, whoever may be at fault, it will end in a disaster. I am very sorry, but I cannot afford to ruin my good name. A lot of people trust me. I cannot risk betraying this trust in any way."

"Orianna."

"No. My answer is no.", she sighed. "I am sorry, Regis. And I am sorry to you too, (Y/N). I assure you I would try to get to know you better. But today is the worst of all days you could have picked. My hands are tied."

This argument made you uncomfortable.

Ashamed, you did not dare to look anyone in the face, lowered your gaze and nodded.

"It's fine.", you said, trying to hide how disappointed yet hurt you were. "I did not want to disappoint Regis. But I appreciate your honesty. I won't be a bother anymore. Have a good night, Orianna. It was a pleasure meeting you."

A sarcastic snort escaped her.

"No need to lie. I would be pissed too if someone would send me away like that. But like I said, there are a lot of people here today.", she glanced at you, then back to Regis. "Come by tomorrow. I'll serve you dinner. Just a small meeting among friends. Does that sound suitable?"

You did not want to be a bother, nor did you need her charity and fake friendliness. But it seemed that it would have been important to Regis.

So you agreed.