Forty-Nine

A few month had passed and the warm summer days had changed into rainy autumn ones. The air smelled like rain and the sky had turned grey, as you returned from your journey to pick up some supplies form the nearby village at the foot of the mountain. A few drops had already hit you but further than that everything was still dry.

Hastily, you hurried inside and locked the door behind your back.

A storm was coming. And it wouldn't be a light one.

Regis had already closed the windows and ensure that the covers were shut tightly. He had lit some candles and a fire was burning in the stove. The smell of fresh food, that was boiling on the fire filled the air and made the cabin feel even more like home.

As the time had passed, you had begun to arrange some on the decoration and other personal items. Regis had drawn a picture of you and him in the garden that was hanging over the bed now. Cut flowers were filling vases and you had spent a few coins on blankets and books that had caught your eye.

Regis was the one that had swallowed the books within a few days but you were still struggling, since he was still teaching you how to read properly.

As you stepped through the door, Regis turned on his desk and walked over to take the groceries and other things from you. He gave you a kiss.

"Is it starting already? I've heard the storm will be a big one.", he said while storing the things where they belonged.

"I think so. It doesn't look nice. Do you think we will have enough food for a week?", you asked and took a look out of the door. "I can smell the thunder already."

"Oh, we will manage for sure. Even if the storm lasts longer, it won't kill us to go out. We could get food if we really needed to.", Regis said and checked on the food on the stove.

It smelled amazing. Surprisingly, Regis had turned out to be a really good cook. His dishes were amazing, tasted pretty good. But he never ate anything himself. Instead, he found his joy in cooking for you and smiled whenever you made a compliment about his cooking.

"What are you making this time?", you asked and kissed his neck.

"Here. Have a taste."

"Hm. It's great."

"I'm glad you say that. Here, grab something and start eating before it gets cold."

After dinner, it was your turn to clean the dishes.

The weather had changed and the storm had arrived with a might no one had expected. Rain smashed against the closed windows, causing them to shake. Cold air had crept under the doorstep and filled the cabin. The flames of the candles flickered.

Regis pulled you closer to his chest, placed a kiss onto your hair and made sure that the blanket was wrapped around your body.

"What a nasty weather.", he mumbled with a sarcastic smile.

With an agreeing nod, you pressed closer to his chest. The sound of his heartbeat pressing against your ear soothed the fear that was rising, as the sound of thunder chased through the sky.

"Don't you like the thunder?", Regis asked.

"Stop mocking me.", you mumbled against his chest.

"I'm not. Don't worry, my little poppy. I will protect you. Sleep a little. It will be over soon."

Surprisingly, you managed to fall asleep. His arms wrapped around you and the feeling of warmth were enough to make you feel tired.

You didn't even notice as the storm got even worse and the roof of the cabin began to shake.

There were voices. Loud voices, that argued. There was Regis voice, calm but heated. A woman was talking too. And then there was a deep voice that was arguing every now and then.

Who was that?

Visitors?

No. Nobody would visit a place like this.

The cabin was far away from anything. Even the next village was miles away. Not a single villager had set foot on top of this mountain.

So why was somebody here?

Carful, you turned around in bed and opened one eye.

The light of the candles had died down. Only a little bit of light was still left, outlining the three people that were standing next to the door.

Two of those people were wet from top to bottom. They must have arrived not long ago. Regis was standing in front of them, not willing to let the visitors step into the cabin further.

"Regis.", the voice of a woman said. "It's the eldest will. He demands you to return."

The sound of her voice seemed familiar.

Was that..?

Orianna?

"We won't come.", Regis said.

He seemed tense. As if he wanted the two to leave as quick as possible again.

"We were send on his behalf. You cannot refuse our request.", the deep voice argued.

That must have been Dettlaff.

"But I do."

"Do you want to anger him?", Orianna asked in shock. "Regis, no one refuses to listen to his call."

"But I do.", Regis insisted.

"Are you mad, Regis?", Dettlaff raised his voice.

"Do not raise your voice in my home, old friend. I allow you to be my guest but do not test my patience. I will throw you out if you force me to.", Regis warned.

An angry grow escaped Dettlaff. But he did not argue.

Now, your patience came to an end. With a loud nice you cleared your throat to make yourself noticed, got up and took your place next to Regis. With a polite nod of the head, greeting were exchanged.

"Is something the matter?", you asked as if you hadn't been listening for the past minute.

Orianna sighed.

"There is a lot going on. We are here on behalf of the eldest. Unfortunately, Regis doesn't want to hear any of that.", challenging, Orianna looked Regis straight in the eyes.

She was hoping for your support. It wouldn't hurt to give her a little time to explain, you figured.

"What are you here for? What would the eldest possibly want?", you asked.

"He has demanded you two to return to Toussaint. For a formal matter."

"That's ridiculous.", Regis suddenly said. "Why would he demand such a thing?"

"Darling.", you placed a hand on his shoulder. "It might not be a pleasant surprise but we should go. He must have his reasons. He is the eldest, after all. He doesn't do things without reason."

Questioning, Regis looked at you as if you were talking nonsense.

"Are you sure?", he asked.

"Yes. We should go."