Eleven

Geralt was surprisingly calm for a man who just got told that he was standing face to face with a being, that was not meant to exist at all.

Granted, he was quite surprised and didn't believe Regis at first. But as soon as you had shown him some of the abilities that came with being a vampire he couldn't deny it any longer.

"Gods, Regis if your story is true then you have taken a big burden.", Geralt muttered, while looking at your hands.

Regis sighed, while shaking his head. Tiredly, he put his quill down and turned around to face his friend.

"I know. To be fair it was a very impulsive decision but what was I supposed to do? Let the eldest kill one of my kind?", saddened, he lowered his eyebrows and made a guilty expression. "I couldn't let that happen. There are not a lot of rules higher vampires have to follow, but this one is holy. Plus, I was very curious. Perhaps, (Y/N) is a result of mutation. Or very powerful magic. There might be a slight chance that somebody managed to naturally create that offspring. A very slim chance but I won't call it impossible. But Whatever it is, if it worked once it has to work multiple times."

"Hold on, hold on.", you interrupted him, alarmed by his words. "You mean that someone, whoever it might be, has created me as an experiment? That would mean this person wants to use their results to create multiple beings like me."

Regis shrugged.

"Probably. One being like you isn't worth a lot. My apologies, if that sounded rude. But an army of crossbreeds? Quite dangerous."

Confused, you raised your eyebrows. That sounded like a wild conspiracy.

"I doubt that a half-vampire is dangerous towards a full, higher vampire. I mean I am more powerful than a lower vampire and especially more powerful than a human. But that does not change the fact that I would not want to fight you. Or this Dettlaff."

An amused smile appeared on Regis face, his lips pressed together, not showing his teeth. He looked handsome when he smiled. And he smiled a lot. At least he had ever since you've met him.

"True, I would be able to defeat you in a serious fight. But, if my theory is correct, it would mean that a being like you is able to reach the power of a higher vampire but is not vampire enough to be bond to our rules and weaknesses."

"How so?"

"Hm, I'm not quite sure. However, I assume that the human side of yours is immune to the power that a vampires hierarchy holds."

A sigh escaped you, as you rolled your eyes.

"Please, Regis, translation. I have zero knowledge about vampires and their way of life. All I know is your language. And the human language. You know what? Just explain everything to me as if I would lack my brain, ok?"

Again, he had to smirk in amusement. It seemed very easy to get along with him. Maybe it would be easier than you had thought to make friends with him. That would have been a big advantage, especially since you hoped that his knowledge could help fill your empty brain.

Slightly laughing, Regis shook his head, rubbed his hands and fully turned towards you.

"Well at least we are able to communicate. That is one advantage. So allow me to explain. Vampires, especially higher vampires, live in a strict hierarchy. In order to avoid murder, we are not allowed to fight vampires that have a higher rank than ourselves. That meant I'd be able to fight Dettlaff but not the eldest."

"Because Dettlaff is your equal but the eldest is not?"

"Exactly. However, I am not allowed to kill Dettlaff. In fact, no higher vampire is allowed to kill another higher vampire. So, you can only climb ranks by breeding with more powerful vampires or you earn power through fights with other monsters. But in your case, all of those rules do not apply. You are not enough vampire to be bond by the hierarchy, nor are you enough human to kill you off just like that. It would still be considered killing a higher vampire."

An approving hum escaped your throat, as you listend to his words and slowly began to understand.

"So, in conclusion, I am too little vampire to be bond by your rules but I'm also enough vampire to be protected through them.", you answered.

"I fear that is the case. In that matter, you are basically untouchable while being able to do as you please. You'd be able to kill every single higher vampire, without having to fear consequences.", he hesitated for a moment, unsure if he should speak his mind. "And... there might be another... ability that you have, that is neither the one of a vampire nor the one of a human."

Unsure, you looked at him. You had an idea of what he was talking about. But you were unsure if it really could be that big of a deal.

"You mean... that thing?", you asked.

"What thing?", Geralt suddenly asked, grabbed by his curiosity.

"Uhm... there is this thing, that I've noticed at the gathering. Every vampire seemed to be some sort of affected by the presence of the eldest, the unseen one. It was like an aura, that dragged every higher vampire down. That made them weaker and obedient. But... I did not feel it. I was completely normal. As if the laws of the vampires did not apply to me."