Chapter 28

「Chapter 28」

(Cordelia's Perspective)

Seeing Dallas again had brought back memories of the brief time we spent together. It felt awkward to be here in the same space as my boyfriend and the only other guy I've ever really had any feelings for.

I know Dallas felt just as awkward as I had. All day he's been uncharacteristically quiet and seemed to be avoiding even being around me. Regardless, I didn't want what happened between Dallas and I to get in the way of celebrating Ponys birthday.

By night time we all sat around a campfire that Two and Steve had proudly set up by themselves, both might I add were also pretty blitzed which made their achievement even more impressive.

"You want a beer, Cordy?" Steve had offered me the remainder of his bottle to which I had to refuse.

"No thank you. I'm fine with just my water."

"Your loss. How about you Sodapop?"

Soda, much like myself, had refused my cousins generous offer as well. "You know I don't drink, Steve."

"I guess more for the birthday boy then. Right Pony?" After being rejected twice Steve seemed adament to get someone to finish his drink.

Unfortunately Pony wasn't a taker. "I'll pass. Some of us want to remember nights like this."

Soda wrapped his arm around me and pulled me in closer to him. "I second that, Pony."

For the remainder of the night the guys shared stories of their earlier years and all the trouble they used to get into.

I couldn't really add anything to the discussion but I enjoyed being included to say the least. It was fun to hear about all their experiences.

The fire began to burn low making the stars and pale moon our only source of light. We all made our seperate ways to our assigned tents and called it a night seeing that almost everyone was either tuckered out or close to passing out.

I however wasn't all too tired yet. "You get on to bed Sodapop. I'm going to stay up a while longer and I don't want to disturb your sleep."

"Alright kitten. Just don't stay out too late, alright?"

"I promise I won't." Giving him a quick kiss I left him in our tent and began to make my way towards the shore of the lake.

As the calm breeze hit the back of my neck my eyes watched as the calm and small waves of the lake crashed into the shore. My mind reflected on the reality that I was going to be home in a few weeks.

I had to savor every last second that I had here and especially my time with Soda.

"You got room for one more?"

Dallas? I wonder what he's still doing up. "You know as well as I do that if someone sees us out here together then-"

"There's no reason for others to be suspicious of us so you don't need to worry." Quick to cut me short he had made sense. Even if it was easily apparent he had drank one too many. "According to everyone else you and I never even happened. Remember?"

He was right. I guess I did overreact a bit but still. . ."I thought you were busy trying to avoid me all day?"

"I wasn't trying to avoid you." He bitterly denied. " I just didn't wanna bother you and pretty boy Curtis. Thats all that was so don't go looking too deep into it." He sat beside me leaving some distance between us. "So that hickey you got there-"