Chapter 36

「Chapter 36」

With Steve's wedding being held in three months I had some time to prepare to attend.

At dinner I informed my parents of the wedding as well as all the details provided in the letter. "The wedding will take place in June?" My father asked for further clarification.

His tone was however caused concern for me. "Is there a problem?"

"Your father and I will be out of town from May to the end of July." My mother had informed me. "I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my concerns about you going alone."

What was that supposed to mean? "I've traveled alone before. Remember this past summer?"

"But you were staying with your cousin at his home. This time is different." She retorted. "After what had happened last time you were down in Tulsa, I think it'd be best if you were to invite that friend Clark of yours to go with."

"You mean after what happened with Soda, right?" Her comment had bothered the hell out of me, especially since she had the audacity to bring Soda into the conversation as if he were a burden. Not wanting to further sour this conversation I changed the focus onto Clark. "So why Clark? Why not Lucy? Why not another one of my friends?"

"You two seem to get along well. He's a respectable young man from a good family, not to mention the fact that I know he'll be able to look out for you which is really all that matters to your mother and I." My father had explained. Still, I knew what their true reasoning of why they wanted Clark to come with me.

"Personally I feel it'd be too much to ask of him." Clark and I weren't even exclusive. At most we were just seeing one another in a rather casual setting, though he made it obvious at times he had interest in me. 

"It never hurts to ask Cordelia, and if you'd like, your mother and I will be more than willing to pay for the two of you to fly there and back on top of finding you two a place to stay." My father offered. 

It bothered me how eager they were in having Clark go with me. I mean staying with a man and sleeping in the same room as him as an unmarried couple went against everything they had ever taught me about being a well respected woman. Though I suppose I had already ruined that image of myself.

"I'll think about it but can't guarantee anything." It's not that I was entirely opposed to bringing him there, but a part of me did wish to go alone. I feel it'd only make things uncomfortable bringing him with me given my history with two of the guys there.

Clark had already known about Soda and I and our past. Dallas however. . . I wouldn't want him to think low of me if I told him what had happened during that brief week we spent fooling around.

[March 30th]

The weekend had finally came and like all other weekends before Clark was back in town to visit.

The two of us sat in his car after a day of enjoying one another's company at the country club, however an important question weighed on my mind all the while.

I still wasn't 100% sure whether I wanted him to come with me to Steve's wedding but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask. "Clark? There's something I've been meaning to ask you." 

"I do as well."

His comment caught me off guard. "You do?"

He nodded. "You go first."

"Well this June my cousin is getting married and  since my parents wont be able to attend they- well I as well,  we were wondering if you would like to accompany me."