Chapter 4: Simply Just 'Friends'

[Chapter 4]

My body tensed, teeth biting my lower lip as I watched in suspense, unsure of what was to happen next. So enticed by the film I lost focus on the world around me, only to be brought back to it once a hand had gripped onto my shoulder giving it a light squeeze and shake.

Frightened, I had let out a yelp only to cause the perpetrator beside me to break out in a fit of giggles. "Oh real mature of you Sodapop!"

I turned my attention back to the screen only to turn away once again almost immediately after out of fear. By impulse I had hid my face in Sodas shoulder, gripping onto his shirt in a child-like manner.

Though he laughed at my over dramatic reaction he used his free arm to rub my back comfortingly. "You doin' alright there?"

"Y-yeah. Of course I am." Doing my best to steady my voice, being so close to Soda had only counteracted my efforts in doing so."W-what makes you think otherwise?"

"Well lets see," He began, smirking all the while, "You're shaking for one thing. Secondly, you're kinda holding onto me pretty tightly there."

Out of embarrassment I continued to deny his claims even though I was already failing at convincing him otherwise."I am not."

"You just keep telling yourself that." Looking up at him to shoot him a mean mug I noticed the look he had in hie eyes while staring down at me. His once carefree expression now shifted to one of a more serious look. Almost as if he was trying to read me and what I was thinking about in this very moment.

All I could think of was how beautifully the moonlight had looked refelcting off of his eyes. Blue and sparkling even in the darkness of the night. It was hard not to stare into them for too long. Soda was off limits, and as much as I had wanted him I knew all that wishing would be in vain. The guy's made it clear he doesnt see me in that sort of way anyways, so why bother?

"I uhm, is it safe to look back at the movie now?" I had asked, making an excuse as to why I was still holding onto him.

He shifted his attention back towards the screen and winced. Looking back down at me he shook his head.

Eventually I had gained enough courage to continue watching the movie until it had came to an end.

"Well, looks like Im not getting any sleep tonight." I commented.

Soda chuckled and said to me, "You barely watched any of the movie."

"Your point is?"

"Nothing. You at least had a good time tonight though, right?"

I nodded. "Of course. It means a lot to me that you took the time to take me out tonight."

"It wasnt much, really, but Im glad you had fun. Even if you were shaking out of your boots." He teased.

"I was just cold." I fronted, crossing my arms stubbornly in denial.

"If you were cold you could've just said so and I would've gladly given you my jacket in the back seat." He stated. A grin on his lips while he spoke. "Anyways, theres no shame in being a scaredy cat. It was cute really."

A mischievous grin came across my lips as I saw the opportunity to tease him right back. "You think I'm cute?" Batting my lashes at him jokingly he soon became flustered to my amusement.

"I never said that." Liar.

"So you don't think I'm cute?" I pouted.

"No I do! Its just that- well. . . " Soda obviously had trouble looking for the right words to say that could save him from the situation he dug himself into that I for one in no way worsened. "You hungry?"