Chapter 40

「Chapter 40」

(Cordelia's Perspective)

Clark had made his way down the sidewalk away from the venue. I couldn't let him go, not after what had just happened.

Desperately I had called out to him. "Clark, wait! Just let me explain!" My hand reached out for his shoulder to stop him but he refused my touch. "Stop- Please, just listen to me!"

He turned to face me and my feet stopped in their tracks. "You told me about your ex, but him?! Why did you neglect to tell me about him?! What else have you been hiding from me?!"

"Nothing-"

"Really!?" He scoffed. "Because after tonight I'm having a hard time believing you. You know, I should've known something was up the second we got here."

"What do you mean?"

"You and that guy. You both acted so strange around one another and the way I'd catch him stealing glances at you. . ." His frustration melted into that of disappointment as his expression had softened. "I hoped I was wrong to assume you two had a history, but I guess now I was right to be suspicious."

I didn't know what to say to him. Nothing but guilt and regret had overwhelmed me to the point where I found it hard to speak.

"I just don't understand why you couldn't tell me about him. I would've rather that than to find out the way I did."

He was right. I should've just been honest with him. But even so. . . "I wasn't sure how to tell you. I was so scared of hurting you that I just kept it bottled up inside." Though I knew now what a terrible mistake that was.

He looked to be thinking something over in his head. What that was exactly I wasn't sure until he had spoke up. "I'm heading back to the hotel,  but dont expect to find me there when you return."

"What? Why?"

"Right after I pack my things I'm calling a taxi to take me to the airport and boarding the first flight that'll take me home." He explained.

I couldn't blame him for not wanting to be around me, let alone even look at me.

"I understand, but for what its worth I do want you to know that I am sorry for all of this." I didnt expect him to accept my apology but I did want him to know it was never my intention to hurt him.

"I know you are, Cordelia. I just think for now it'd be best if we stopped seeing each-other." With that he had left, leaving me to think over everything that had just happened and let it sink in.

Our relationship was done with and it left me feeling sick. Though I knew it was for the best I hated how things had ended between us.

I wasn't sure where to go from here. Could I just join the others back inside the house and act like none of that had ever happened? It's not like I could head back to the hotel right now.

Stuck in my own thoughts I was unaware of the person approaching me from behind.

"You doin' alright princess?"

Initially startled by this my nerves were soon enough put to ease once I realized it was Dallas.

"What are you doing out here?" I had asked him.

"Came back out to check on you. How did things go with your boyfriend?"

"We broke up." I told him. "He left not too long ago. Said he was grabbing his things and heading to the airport tonight."

"Couldn't wait till monday to leave?"

"It would've just been awkward if he had. We weren't sleeping in seperate rooms after-all, and we were also sharing the same bed." Realizing how bad that had sounded I was quick to defend myself." B-but it's not like that! Him and I, we- we never. . . You know?"