Chapter 10: Why Her?

[Chapter 10]

June 18th

The next morning I was back at the DX with Soda and Steve, taking my usual position as their little helper.

With the guys working under the hood of a customers car I was on tool duty.

"Gotta whiz. Be right back you two." Steve informed us.

"Gross." I groaned. Steve ignored my comment and hurried inside the DX store leaving it just Soda and I outside.

"Cordy, you got a little something on your cheek there." Soda said while pointing at his left cheek.

Embarrassed I quickly began to wipe where he directed. "Did I get it?" I checked my hand, seeing it was clean I then wiped the other cheek. "Where is it?"

Soda came over to me and slyly swiped his thumb across my cheek which left a wet trail. I squirmed at the feeling and realized that I had been tricked. "Its right there."

"Aren't you the older one here?" Wiping the gunk off of me I had then tried to return the favor but Soda was quicker. Holding me by my hand he pulled me into his chest and wrapped his arms tightly around me to restrain me from moving.

Soda spoke in a hushed and teasing tone as he lowered his head to be closer to mine. "You're gonna have to be faster than that."

I tilted my head and looked up at him, a goofy smile plastered across his face. I couldn't be mad at him, not when he was looking at me like that. "Unhand me now!" I demanded.

"Now where would the fun in that be?" He loosened his hold on me but only so he could begin a new form of torture. Tickling. I let out a burst of laughter and pleaded for release but he was stubborn.

"Soda!" Being caught off guard by another guest Soda ceased all actions. A blush was seen reddening his cheeks. Approaching the two of us was none other than Diane, looking as if she was about to make a big fuss. Great.

"Diane. What brings you here?" Soda asked, his voice unsteady and his hands buried in the back pockets of his jeans.

"I wanted to see you of course! You haven't been answering any of my calls lately. What gives?" She had her hands on her hips, her head tilted slightly to the right as her grey-blue eyes stared back at us warily.

"I've just been pretty busy is all. Had a lot on my mind recently." Soda glanced over at me briefly before returning his attention back on Diane who didn't seem all too pleased with his answer.

"I see you're plenty busy here." She commented bitterly. "Corey, right?"

"Cordelia, actually." I corrected her, trying my best to stay as civil with her as possible despite my current feelings of dislike towards the girl.

"Right." She said with a smile. "Well since you're here I think it's probably the best time to say sorry about what I said to you last Friday night. I've been feeling just awful about it ever since and I hope you can forgive me and maybe we can move past this and start new."

"That's real sweet of you Diane." Soda was kind to a fault. I didn't believe she truly felt bad for what happened, but I knew it'd make Soda happy to see me make an effort with the girl he's currently seeing.

I sucked up my pride and forced myself to smile. "Water under the bridge."

"Diane! Haven't seen ya' around here in a while. What brings you here?" Lucky me, Steve had came back from his bathroom break and didn't seem all too pleased with Diane's unexpected visit either.