Chapter 23

[Chapter 23]

July 17th

I knew I had to talk to Dallas. I just wasn't sure how I would approach him.

Ever since we've ended things between us it's been awkward to be around him. I didn't know how to act around someone I had been intimate with but Dallas seemed to be well accustomed to it.

The guys and I were out for lunch as usual. Dallas seemed like his normal self, just like the others who sat around the table with us. I felt out of place, similarly to how I had felt when I first came here.

I glanced over at Two-bit, wondering if he knew about what went down.

"So, Pony. You mind tellin' us who left that nasty bruise on your cheek?" Johnny had asked.

Pony had looked over at me before explaining the details of Friday nights fight to the others. "Soda got into a fight with these socs. Cordy had come running to my house and told Darry and I what had happened so I ran to help him."

"What were you doing with Soda, Cordy?" Two had questioned, judging by his expression it was apparent to me that Dallas kept our business to himself.

"He invited me out to see a movie that night." I briefly explained. I wanted to leave as little room for further questioning as possible so I left it at that.

Finished with lunch it was time for the five of us to go our separate ways. "You want a ride to the DX?" Dallas had asked me.

I was a little shaken by his offer but nodded. It was the perfect opportunity to speak with him privately. "I'm actually on my way back to Steve's place instead. Is that alright?"

"It's nothing out of the way from where I need to be." He said with a shrug. 

In his car we rode down the main street with the windows down and music playing low. "So Soda invited you out?" He had brought up.

"He did." I confirmed. "I actually wanted to talk to you about that."

"Did something happen?"

"We kissed. He wanted to make things official between us but I couldn't give him a solid answer."

"Don't tell me it's because of me." His tone came off as harsh which I wasn't expecting. "Princess, you and me, I told you before it'd never work."

"Dallas-"

"I don't get it! You've liked the guy since you were kids. He's who you wanted this whole time, remember?"

"That was before I got to know you. Dallas I still like you and that's my problem." I knew I shouldn't feel this way, but I couldn't help it.

"Well then get over it." His tone hinted annoyance, and I instantly regretted bringing this up to him. "I've made up my mind about us and there's no use in revisiting what we had." 

"So none of it truly meant anything to you?" How could it if he's already moved on from what we had?

He was quiet. His brows were tensed, his mouth contorted while his eyes remained on the road. I wasn't sure whether or not he was just thinking or if he was going to ignore my question. "I liked you, but in the end it was just about sex. It was never meant to turn into anything other than that, so if you were smart you should get over it and move on."

Though his tone lacked sincerity I felt awful from hearing what he had to say to me. I've heard enough and right now I just wanted to be alone. "Stop the car." 

"What?"

"You want nothing to do with me, so I'm going to walk the rest of the way home. Now please just pull over and let me out."