Chapter 20

「Chapter 20: Summer Heat」

(Sodas Perspective)

It was hard to keep my eyes from staring at her.  Occasionally she met my glance although never for long enough, but each time she wore a smile on her face.

She looked happy, and that was always a good look on her.

"Jealous much?" Steve's voice caught me off gaurd since my mind and attention have been elsewhere.

"N-no! Im just makin sure Dally or Two don't go on and try to put the moves on Cordy is all." Even though Steve and I stood a fair distance away from the others I was sure to keep my voice down worried that they might hear us.

"Don't be ridiculous. Cordy ain't Dally's type. As for Two. . . Maybe you do have some competition." Steve chuckled but soon he fell quiet, as if thinking over what he was to say next. "You really do like her. Don't ya' ."

"I do." I admitted. It still felt weird to say it out loud, but there was no point in denying my feelings for her any longer since Steve already knew the truth.

"So when do you plan on tellin' her?" He asked me.

I didn't expect his question, especially since last time we spoke about her he didnt seem all too happy with my confession. "What do you mean?"

"Well the girl has a right to know. That and, to be honest, the idea of you being a future inlaw doesn't sound all too bad." He gave me a reassuring pat on the back. "If you've been wantin' my blessin', here it is."

"Well, if it's really alright with you, soon I hope. This Friday I asked her to see a movie with me. Maybe then I'll tell her, but. . ." I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about whether or not she'd feel the same. "I don't know man. What if I make things weird between us?"

"You're Sodapop Curtis, any girl would love to be in her position." He seemed more confident in me than I was in myself. "Don't think I haven't noticed how the damn girl acts and looks at you by the way."

"What do you mean?"

"She's always all smiles and giddy-like when she's around you. Some days she's more obvious than others that she's got a crush. I try to ignore it most of the time to be honest. Like on Tuesday when we went to that firework show."

"Cordy's just a natural sweetheart. Thats how she is." I reminded him, but he wasnt havin' it.

"Believe me Curtis, she likes you. Maybe you don't see it but I do."

Hearing him say those things about her had me smilin'.  "Alright. I'll do it. I'll tell her exactly how I feel."

"So I guess my next question is, what are you gonna do about that Diane chick?

"I've been wantin' to end things with her for a while." We were never officially together but she at least deserves a goodbye."

"Good riddance. I never liked her anyways." He commented, but I already knew that much about his feelin's towards her. "Don't like Cordy either but I can tell she makes you happy."

"She does." I admitted.

"Damn. Out of all the people in the world. My baby cousin. Such an innocent sweet girl." Steve was such a dramatic. He took a long sip of his drink before letting out a deep sigh. "I'm gonna be sick."

"You're bein' a bit much here dontcha think?"

"Promise me you wont, you know?" He didn't have to be any more clear than that. I knew exactly what he was tryin' to get at and I began to blush.