Chapter 33

「Chapter 33」

(Dally's Perspective)

As the night progressed, little by little Cordy was becoming more and more talkative and outgoing. Though I'm sure it was most likely because of how much she was drinking throughout the night.

However despite her happy expression, from time to time she seemed to be distracted, as if searching for something or rather someone. And I think we can all guess who.

Pretty boy Curtis wasn't present at this party and Pony had explained that it was because he wasn't feeling all too well. Whether or not she believed that obvious lie was unknown to me.

"Two, you mind being a doll and handing me another drink?" She asked him. 

Knowing that Keith had a soft spot for the girl and would've done as asked of without a second thought, I had to step in "You might want to slow it down there a bit, princess."

"I'm with you on that one, Dally. We don't need you puking your guts out, Cordy." Steve had agreed.

"I'm fi~iiine. You boys need to stop worrying about me." Stumbling a bit she had caught herself and tried to play it off. 

Wanting to test her sobriety I asked her a simple question. "What's five times two?" 

"Hold on I got this. Gimme a minute." Counting silently to herself using her fingers was evidence enough that she was completely out of it. "What was the question again?"

"Well shoot! Even I'm not  that hammered." Two had joked.

"Come on, we're gonna go and get you some water." Signaling for the girl to follow after she walked behind me straight into the kitchen.

For the short amount of time I spent preparing her drink I was too busy to notice that she had snuck off. Turning back around to hand her her drink she was nowhere to be seen. "Cordy!?"

Damn it!

Looking over the crowd of people I found it hard to find her given her size, still I had to do something. The girl could get into serious trouble. Who knows what sickos she could accidently run into.

After spending a good few minutes searching for her, I eventually found her blankly staring at something in the distance.

Placing my hand on her shoulder to catch her attention she jumped, obviously startled. Turning to face me I got a good look at her face. Her eyes lost all liveliness from earlier. She looked hurt, scared almost.

"I thought I. . . Soda, he's here- or I thought he was." Her voice was low, almost too quiet to hear over the music and chatting that surrounded us.

We've been here for hours now. I had little faith that Soda would actually show up, but it's not like I could tell her he wouldn't. Her face looked so defeated and I worried for her well being. Is this why she drank so much tonight? To try to get her mind off of him?

"Pony said he was at home sick remember?" Though I didn't believe a word he said, maybe I could convince her it was true.

Something I said had set her off, enough to the point where she nearly shouted at me. "I'm not dumb, Dallas! He's avoiding me, isn't he?!" Her eyes softened as she stared back at me. I knew her expression well. The girl was now fighting back her tears. "I didn't mean to raise my voice like that. I'm just-" she cut herself short. "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about me, alright? Lets get you back to the others. They're probably wondering where we went-"

"You didn't answer my question. You think he's avoiding me too. That's why he didn't come to see me, not even on my last full night here. I thought that at least-. . ." She again cut herself short but this time refused to continue.