Chapter 3: The 'date'

[Chapter 3: May 31st]

A whole week had nearly passed since I had came to visit for the summer. Since monday I had been helping out any way that I could at the DX station, sure to keep myself busy so I don't die of boredom at home.

Today the boys were working on a repair. I had little to no knowledge of cars other than what Soda had taught me but I was sure to be of assistance in any way that I could.

"Cordy, do ya' mind handing me the wrench? It should be in the toolbox right next to you." Steve informed me.

I searched the box, checking twice to no avail and after the third time I had then given up. "Uhm, Steve. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think its in here." Id look again but found it to be pointless. I may not know all too much about work tools or whatever else but I do know what a wrench looks like. "Are you sure its in here?"

Steve grew impatient and he was sure to make it known. Letting out a heavy sigh he came over to take a look himself. "Do I gotta do everything myself 'round here?!"

I moved aside and crossed my arms over my chest, waiting for him to realize the damn thing was actually missing. He looked back up at me, to which I had then smirked. "Well?"

"Ill go see if I have a spare one in my car. Sodapop, think you can keep an eye on this one real quick while I go check?"

"Will do. I'll make sure she stays out of trouble." Soda teased. Wrapping an arm around my shoulders he kept a secure hold on me until Steve was out of our view.

Releasing me from his hold Soda had then pulled something out of his back pocket. Taking a closer look at the item, once I realized what it was I stared at it in disbelief. I wasn't sure whether to be confused or impressed by his little trick. "Why did you make Steve run to his car to look for a spare if you had the wrench this whole time?"

Soda set it down upon the table before giving his explanation. "I was hoping it could give us a little alone time for me to talk to you."

He wanted to be alone with me? "What is it?" If he wanted to be alone for this conversation it must be important.

"Well, theres this movie tonight and I was wondering if. . ." His voice began to trail off. Looking for the right words to say it was apparent he was getting shy.

"If?" I had urged him to go on. Why was he getting all nervous all of a sudden?

"If you had maybe wanted to go, with me I mean." He had finished.

I could feel the tops of my ears turning warm. Was he asking me out? Like as a date? "Just the two of us?" I had asked for clarification.

"Preferably yes, but its up to you. Regardless, I just thought it'd be nice to take you out and experience what Tulsa has to offer. I can tell you havent been out much since you've gotten here and I thought it'd be nice to show you around a bit. A-As a friend I mean."

And there it was. The dreaded 'f' word. "You slide this idea past Stevie boy yet?"

"He'll find out soon enough. Besides, I'm his best buddy so he knows that youre safe in my hands." He smiled with a wink. "Please say you'll go."

With those wild blue eyes of his and that charming bright smile? How could I ever refuse? "What time does the movie start?"

"Seven tonight. I can come pick you up so Steve doesnt have to drive you there." He informed.

"Sounds like a plan." Whether this had qualified as a date or not I was still equally as happy to go out with Soda tonight.

I began to count down the hours, minutes, and seconds until he was to pick me up. During this time I contimplated outfits and hairstyles for tonight. Steve, curious as to why I spent so long in my room, had barged in without knocking. "Cordy? Whats up with the getup? Is the circus in town?"