Chapter 9: The Kiss

[Chapter 9]

June 17th

All weekend I couldn't keep Friday night out of my head. The remembrance of all that had happened that night left me feeling nothing but confused and scared to face either Soda or Dallas.  Before I knew it Monday had came and in order to avoid seeing either men I did what every other eighteen year old would do and faked a cold to stay home.

Sure it was childish on my end but how was I supposed to act around them after everything that had happened? Would either treat me differently? Had Dally really just considered it to be a one time thing?

As much as I hated to admit it, maybe mom was right. Attending parties only invited trouble to follow after.

After Steve headed off to work I debated on how to spend my day. Sleep? Tidy up a bit? Read? Maybe I can knock myself into a coma and not wake up until the end of summer when I get to go back home?

"No. Too drastic." I muttered to myself. "Oh boy, I forgot how boring staying home can be." I let out a sigh and made my way into the kitchen to make myself something to eat. Cooking was always something I had an interest in since I was young but I hadn't much experience in the kitchen growing up.

Why learn basic human skills when you can just hire someone to do it for you? I rolled my eyes in mockery of my parents unfortunate mindset on the essentials of learning basic life skills.

Looking into the fridge I let out a sigh, "Okay. You can do this Cordy." Shouldn't be that hard to make breakfast, right?

Wrong. Oh how so incredibly wrong I was to underestimate the skill it takes to not burn your food. Letting out a defeated sigh I pulled out a bowl and spoon and settled on cereal. 

[Steve's perspective]

"Sorry guys, little Cordy's at home sick today." I informed the group.

"Well shoot! I just damn wasted my good shirt fer nothin' today." Two-bit complained.

Soda seemed confused by Two's complaint and asked him, "That's your good shirt?"

"Why you ask that? Of course it is."

"Enough chit chat. I wanna know where you criminals were even planning on taking my innocent baby cousin today." I made sure to eye each man down with a stern expression, hoping for their sake that their intentions were good.

"Anywhere but here." Dally casually responded. "Man, the girl must be bored out of her mind hanging out around this joint all the time."

"Since when did you care about Cordy?" I was in somewhat disbelief that him, of all people, came over to take her out today.

"She ain't too bad to hang around." Who knew the two would eventually make friends. I'll be damned, didn't think Cordy could handle Dallas. "I also find humor in her insults and cold attitude towards me."

"Sounds like her. With that sassy mouth of hers and all." I rolled my eyes in remembrance of my dear cousin. I hope the pip squeaks doin' well though.

"Well we'll be on our way I guess. Have fun pumping gas the rest of the day." Two-bit chuckled.

"You goons enjoy the rest of your day off." Soda waved as the two got back in their car.

"Cordy sure is popular." I sighed. "Those guys better keep their hands off her if they know what's good fer em'. Except pony of course. Which reminds me, we still need a plan to set them up."