Chapter 6: Trouble in Tulsa

[Chapter 6: June 3rd]

The work week had began again for Steve and like always I tagged along. Ever since Saturday Soda's been quiet and has barely been paying me any mind. I grew worried I had done something to upset him but what?

Going into the dx station to buy the boys cold drinks I came back out to find yet another female customer chatting it up with the boys. Steve blowing her off Soda continued to talk to the girl, however unlike all the other times girls had flirted with him, Soda was flirting back?

My stomach turned, knotting to my discomfort with the sight before me. I shouldnt care and I knew my feelings for him wouldnt be anything more than just a crush but. . .

I straightened my posture, held my chin up and forced a smile as I walked towards the boys with cold refreshments. "You guys thirsty?"

"Thanks Cordelia." After retrieving his drink Soda continued to speak with the girl. She, much like the others had ignored my existence. Handing Steve his drink I stood empty handed, feeling out of place and rather uncomfortable.

Pretending to be unbothered I stood with Steve who was filling up the girls car with gas. "Never thought I'd see the day Soda would start showing interest in someone again." He commented quietly.

"Again? What do you mean?"

"Its a touchy subject, best to not speak of it here." Maybe he's talking about the girl Soda briefly brought up when we went to see that horror movie together.

After finishing up with filling the girls car up, before leaving she had pulled out a slip of paper and pen from her purse. Writing down something she had then handed it to Soda before leaving.

"Look at you bud. Gonna give the girl a call later?"

Soda looked to be rather unenthusiastic, shrugging in response to Steve's question. His eyes glanced at me before returning them back to the slip of paper in his hand. "Not sure."

"You should at least give the girl a try. You'll never know if you dont put yourself out there again!" Steve had lectured. "Cordy, back me up here."

I looked at Soda, our eyes meeting I again had felt another tinge of pain in my stomach. As much as i didn't want to agree with Steve I knew it was best for both Soda and I. "Steve is right. . ."I glanced at Soda whose eyes widened at my words, almost at disbelief to me agreeing with my cousin. I couldnt bring myself to say anything more so I remained silent.

Soda let out a sigh of defeat. "I guess it couldnt hurt."

"Thats my boy." Steve gave him a pat on the back. "Im proud of you. And hey, maybe this time will be different."

A car had pulled into the dx station, stopping beside the boys and I. Getting a good view of who was inside the car I realized it to be Pony and Johnny. "What are you two bafoons doin' here?" Steve asked.

"Nice to see you too, Steve. Anyways, Johnny and I were heading towards DQ and thought we'd stop by to see if any of you wanted us to pick you up something to eat." Pony had offered.

A mischevious grin crept across Steve's face. "Well what a coincidence! Cordy here was just telling me how hungry she was. Mind if she tags along with you two?"

I looked over at Steve, confused as to why he'd lie to the guys like that. Was he really trying to get rid of me? About to open my mouth to speak he had given me a look that told all, quietly telling me to go along with him from some odd reason.

Johnny shrugged. "Dont see why not. Fine by me. What about you Pony?"

"We always got room for one more. Hop on in Cordy."