Chapter 16

[Chapter 16]

[Cordelias perspective]

[July 7th]

I threw on a white flowy top and a pair of jean shorts. Once again debating whether or not to throw my hair up in a ponytail or wear it down like earlier today.

I scoffed as I stared at myself in the mirror. Oh for this to be the only problem I had. So trivial, and completely unimportant regarding the rest of my life problems.

I rolled my eyes and released my hair from its high hold and let it fall down my back.

As excited as I was to spend time with Soda again, I still wasn't over what had happened with Dallas. The way things had left off between us had bothered me, but I couldn't let it get in the way of tonight. "Tonight is going to be fun, Cordelia. Just you, and your good friend Soda." Just the two of us. No need to be nervous at all.

Tying my ribbon around my neck to turn it into a choker I then shuffled through my bag and pulled out a tube of mascara to finish up my makeup.

If you want to feel your best, you gotta look your best. At least that's what mom always told me. She's always been on the vainer side but who was I to judge when she had a point.

Knocks were heard at my door and I gave the okay, "It's open!" I called out.

Steve had peeked his head in from the doorway. "Well don't you like nice."

"I try." I said while keeping my focus on the task at hand. "Is there something you want?"

He sat himself at the foot of my bed, "Just came in to set some ground rules with ya'."

"Rules? Steve I'm 18, I'm not a kid anymore, you know?" I don't know how many times I had to remind him this.

"You're still under my care till you head back home little missy. Besides, I'm still older than you." He smugly stated.

"Yeah, by a year and a half." Finished with my makeup I then made my way over to Steve and sat down right beside him.

"Still older than you." He thumped my forehead with his thumb and index finger in a good flick before continuing to impose his authority over me. "Anyways, rules. No hanky panky, no funny business of any sort, no drinking, no smoking, and your curfew is at midnight."

"Hanky panky?" My focus stayed on his choice of words. What the hell did that even mean?

"You know. . . " He shrugged. His ears reddened and he averted his eyes from mine. "You've never heard that saying before? Shake the sheets, make whoopee, hit a home run-

I cut him off. I've heard enough euphemisms to understand what he was getting at. "Okay I get it! Just. . . stop that already, please. I appreciate your concern but I can assure you that I'm not planning on sleeping with your best friend tonight."

"Just making sure we're on the same page here." He got up from where he sat and made his way to the bedroom door. "Anyways, I'll get out of your hair now. Oh and, by the way, wear some pants. You're showing too much leg."

"Goodbye Steve." I waved for him to leave knowing well I wasn't going to listen to him about changing. He must be out of his mind if he thinks I'm going to wear jeans in this summer heat.

Soda had arrived to pick me up a little less than half an hour after my little chat with the cousin. Opening the front door, Soda stood there dressed nicely and wearing the same goofy grin I always loved to see on him.