That One Silly Wish

Walking down the familiar street in an old village she's currently living,

Kim Dahyun was alone. It's four in the afternoon. Her class ended earlier than expected.

She's looking around, and only a few people were present, passing by her. She could even count the vehicles that pass just by her fingers.

Then just few feet away, she spotted the old fountain near the abandoned house. She stopped, now facing the direction of the fountain.

Dahyun looks at her wristwatch, checking the time. It's still early for her to go home.

She bit her lip in hesitance. She never really dared go there. Her friends would often scare her that the owner's ghost in that house was just inside there, taking care and watching out if anyone trespasses. 

She never really dared to check despite the urge to take a look.

But today was different, something's pulling her to go there and check around, and she knows it's a dumb move to follow what her mind was saying, but then again, curiosity does kill…

By then she just realized that she wads already walking towards the abandoned place.

It's now or never. They just probably teased me since they know I'm afraid of ghosts. Geez, ghosts aren't real. They just came from those horror movies played by the actors but fucking hell I'm now NEAR THE FUCKING FOUNTAIN--

Her mind was messy from nervousness and fear, but then she managed to stay stood just a foot away from the fountain, knees were shaking.

Dahyun gulped.

The fountain was old, even older than her. Her Family said that the owner of this place was the former mayor who died from cancer, and he left his wife alone, but no one knows where his wife was. Rumors were saying that she locked herself inside the house after her husband's death. They don't have kids, and Dahyun thought that it's sad knowing no one took care of her. 

It's so hard to be lonely...

Because Dahyun is no different from the lady. She's currently away from her parents as she's attending college far away from their home. The University has a cheap tuition fee and that pushes Dahyun to be away from their home despite not wanting to. Sure, sometimes it's lonely as she misses her family's presence, but the freedom of living alone in an apartment, friends she could hang around still keeps her staying. One more year and she'll finally graduate.

Her index finger reached for the water from the fountain, letting it get soaked by the flowing water that's surprisingly looked clean. The house looks like someone's taking care of it though, but she never saw anyone cleaning the place. 

Dahyun wasn't aware that she has been standing there longer than she intended, watching the water flow with her mind spacing out.

Until she felt someone tap her shoulder. She yelped and jumped out of surprise.

Hand on her chest, she was faced by an old lady who tapped her shoulder. The Old Lady smiled, "I've noticed you standing there and doing nothing, I thought you're a ghost" The Old Lady spoke and stood beside her, now they're both facing the fountain.

Dahyun was looking at her in confusion, and a little scared if she must admit. The Old Lady just popped out behind her. She didn't even notice her presence.