Prologue

I  hold myself up on the slippery banister, waiting for the unsuspecting old man to come home.

According to his wife he should be returning alone after just having spent some time with one of his mistresses.

Low and behold, he enters his home in a drab, brown tweed suit. His oily head is balding at a rapid pace it seems.

He slips his damp coat off and hangs in on the  empty coat rack. I keep my breathing silent and wish my heartbeat to slow. His wife had made sure to be out for this occasion, finding herself a solid alibi.

For a man who's sleeping with four women, he just seems old and innocent. He whistles softly while he brews himself his last coffee. 

His wife must really hate him to be paying me this much to rid the world of him. I tighten the straps on my gloves to my hands and adjust my ponytail so its tightened all the way.

There's no point in covering my face if it's the last thing he'll see.

I hear the wooden squeak and dragging of a chair. He must be sitting down now.

I slink down the stairs, careful to balance my weight and not make any sounds.

I approach the cozy dining room he's situated in. I stand in the doorway and whistle.

He freezes. "Who's here?"

"Death."

"What?" He finally turns around to look at me. "What are you doing? Get out of my house young lady."

There's not much for me to respond with besides, "your wife send her regrets that she couldn't do this herself."

Before he gets the chance to make another sound, I rush up to him and crack his neck.

I let him slump and thud to the floor and track back up the stairs.

Quickly, to not waste time, I find the upstairs window I used to get myself in here and open it to exit once again.

I land almost soundlessly on the ground.

Removing, my gloves, I take my ponytail out and let my hair fly free. I upzip my black leather jacket to reveal a baby blue tee shirt underneath. Even though it's pitch black outside, I put a cap on my head. Better to at least continue to try and hide my identity and heinous intentions during this time.

They'll never catch you if they can't recognize you.

I keep a fair pace as I walked down this slightly familiar road. Over the past two years, I've had to trek through this road maybe four times. Each time only to eliminate someone.

I reach the rendez-vouz point set between me and the wife and wait for the payment.

After 20 minutes, my current  or former employer shows up. However we choose to look at it.

"I don't like to be kept waiting." I look up at her. She's not alone like we'd promised. A tall, muscular man with his arms crossed stands at her side. "You didn't take long to find someone new," I scoff before stepping up to her. 

Her romantic life is none of my business, but it is notable that she's moved on so fast. Or was also having affairs along with her husband.

She snaps her fingers and the man beside her passes her a black backpack. "It's all here," she reassures. "Our work is done, my personal life has no concern to you."

Number one lesson I've learned in this lifestyle: Never trust anyone's word. Not even your own.

"Let me give it a quick check." I say before she gets the chance to part ways. "And it does when you go against your word."

She was telling the truth. All $50,000 was in here.

"I'll be on my way now." My former employer states before turning on her heel.

I sling the backpack over my shoulders.

"Wait." She reaches her arm out to stop me. "Did he have anything to say? Was he frightened?"

I clear my throat. "He didn't believe he deserved this fate."

I didn't lie, he questioned my presence. But I didn't give him the chance to beg for mercy or ask any other useless questions.

She nods. "Well, that bastard deserved it more than others."

~~~

After a moderate trek, I reach the road where my small home lies. A run down, possible meth lab, apartment complex. Better to stay somewhere where it's much easier to keep my money coming in with little expenses. I could be somewhere much much nicer, but this just lets me keep up my low-profile agenda.

I unlock my apartment and step in.

Unlike the other people who live here, I'm so much more well off. I don't flaunt it. I keep my place and belongings simple.

I strut over to my bomb-proof 4x4 vault. I enter in the passcode, fingerprint and retinal scan and dunk the money in. Never can be too safe.

That makes $130,000 in the past month. And even more over the past year. 

With a quick shimmy, I take my coat and boots off, but make sure my favourite knives are still hidden in the folds of my leather pants.

I unholster my gun and inspect if for a brief moment before unlocking my bedroom door.

"Took you long enough to get here," a voice huffs from the dim room.

I play along, even though I know what is most likely about to go down. "Yeah, got caught up at work ya know. That 9-5 shit was a crappy joke."

"Oh, I know. You don't know who I am, do you?"

"How do you want me to answer?"

"However you see fit."

Even thought it's dark, I roll my eyes and twirl my gun. "Yes, I know who you are, Kim Hongjoong. You don't last this long in this game without knowing you. I'm surprised it took this long for us to run into each other."

"Yes," he chuckles lightly, "it did take quite a while."

I hear a sound to my right and my head flips around.

Without a warning to either party, I shoot my gun at the sound and hear a body slide to the ground. 

Great, now there's blood I'll have to clean up, and remove at least one dead body.

"Well, that was uncalled for." Hongjoong spits out.

Then the lights in my room flick on and I catch a glimpse of the infamous Kim Hongjoong seated on my bed like it's his throne before the left side of my head is impacted by something hard.