Yunho's Story - The Artist

A/N: This is Yunho's backstory of how he got into the group. Skip if you don't want to read.

Yunho's POV

I moved my queen to the center of the chess board. "Checkmate." I said.

Nobody ever believes they've lost a chess match that quickly when I play them. In just a couple moves I can have the most experienced strategists scratching their heads wondering where they went wrong.

"That's impossible- that's- rematch!" 

"Sorry. I won fair and square."

I got up from the park bench and slung my backpack over my shoulder.

My 'friends' were expecting me at their apartment to plan out the final details of our bank heist. More like my bank heist because they don't do much.

They only wanted me there because I planned it all out. I was quite literally, the brains of the operation.

They were all insufferable, but I made good money and kept myself alive with it.

~~~

"Took you long enough, Jeong. We've been waiting." The thin boy my age snarled.

"Sorry, Jeff."

I took the bank's blueprints out of my bag and spread it flat on the coffee table.

The three guys beside's me all took a side of the table to inspect it.

"We enter here." I said lazily, pointing at a side entrance to the bank. "Then, we keep low and get to the vault. It will have a three tiered lock, which will take about three minutes for me to get into. Once's it's open, we take only what we can carry and close it all back up."

"You've already gave us this speech." Jeff said with a heavy eye roll.

I balled my fists before giving my reasoning. "There's some extra details I need to add before we bust in there tonight."

Jeff nodded once and let me proceed.

"What we take can only be cash. And it cannot be all from one area. We need to spread out our stash and make it look like we were never there. Gloves cannot be removed, neither can masks. We all need to wear dark, bulky clothing so that it's harder to determine our height and build."

"Sounds good. See you all then." Jeff said, clearly dismissing us all.

~~~

By 11pm, the city has wound down for the night.

The only people that would be left are people who work night shifts, party goers and crooks like me.

The three boys didn't bother keeping their steps quiet when they approached me.

"Ready?" I asked more as a courtesy.

Jeff, stupid stupid Jeff just pointed to the door, motioning for me to unlock it.

I pulled a lock pick from my hair, and opened the door in two quick movements.

The moment I stepped in, I moved to the side of the door and disarmed the alarm.

Jeff, Pablo and Little Tee cautiously stepped inside and looked around.

"Stop staring, follow me," I whispered.

The more they stared the more action was caught on the cameras. The more footage the police would have to try and locate us.

I slid over to the vault and had to suck in a breath.

It was huge. Taller than me and with the intricate set of locks I had predicted.

With the same pick from earlier, I stuck it into one slot and twisted it until it clicked.

Then I tapped a series of numbers into the keypad, letting it buzz to confirm I'd unlocked it.

For the last lock, I needed another person to lift a lever on the other side of the vault.

Pablo sighed and pulled on while I pulled the other.

They both clicked in sync and the vault door unlocked.

The three boys over excitedly waddled in and started grabbing at any cash they got their grubby hands on.

~~~

"Ok, we've got enough. Let's go," I urged them.

"I'll take your bag while you lock up," Little Tee offered.

I passed him my bag and that's when it all went wrong.

Pablo pushed me down on the ground while the three of them made a run for it.

I scrambled to get up and push the door as they closed it, but I was too late.

The heavy vault door sealed itself shut and all the locks clicked back into place, leaving me trapped in the dark with nothing but my own thoughts.

"Fucking bastard-wad-shit-bags."

I let out curse after curse at them. Wanting their own pride and greed to choke them. Wanting them to fall face first into Lego bricks. The only thing that gave me comfort is that they didn't know how to properly spend the money without someone locating the serial numbers.

~~~

Hours, maybe a whole day went by, and I was still stuck sitting in the pitch black vault.

And then, it opened. Two men, one tall (but not as tall as me) and one shorter man stood in front of me.

The light streamed in and I had to cover my eyes to get a look at the men.

"Jeong Yunho, is it?" The shorter man asked.

"Y-yes."

"How do you feel about accompanying me and my associate?"

"Who are you?"

"I'm Kim Hongjoong and this is Park Seonghwa."

"What do you want with me?"

"To work with us."

I raised an eyebrow. I just got duped by one team and now another one wants me.

"We know that you were abandoned here by your friends." Hongjoong continued, "If you come with us, I can promise that will never happen again."

Hongjoong reached his hand out to help me stand up.

And since then, I've been forever grateful for that hand that helped lead me out of the dark.

I found people I could trust and be myself around.

When Hongjoong and Seonghwa drove me to the compound- home, I met the met the rest of the team. A computer runt named Jongho. He's the one that knew where to find me and lead them to me. And Yeosang. I didn't know who or what he was because he was so silent for the first week when I got there. 

Now we have a complete team, although I like to think if it more like a family. A messed up family.

There's the parents; SeongJoong, the gay bros; WooSan and the rest of us.

And most recently, her.

I didn't want her at first because I thought she'd ruin this family I'd come to love and cherish. But getting to know her, I found she's actually a good addition with her twisted mind and sarcasm.