Twenty-One

Esai's Point of View
Unable to sleep, I stayed up the entire night. It is now seven o'clock, and I'm debating whether I should go now or wait until Savannah's boyfriend leaves. It's not like I'd know when he leaves, wait... Today is Sunday, I think he's a church boy. Hopefully he's not there. I get up from my bed and decided to take a shower so it'll help wake me up.
I took my clothes off and let hot water run for a bit. I then turn the cold water on a little, and decided to get it. I let the hot water run over myself, and I couldn't help but think of Savannah. I was wondering what I could do to make her mine, without making the situation bad. I put on the necessities for myself, and finished showering. I turned the water off, then dried myself as I got out. I looked in the mirror, ashamed of what my plan was. I got out of the bathroom and walked into my closet, throwing on some jeans, my socks and grey shoes, a black plain shirt and my grey jacket. I grabbed my phone from the counter and the keys.
"Esai?" A voice asked. "Where are you going?"
"To visit a friend." I stated as I turned around.
"Take forty, the jeep needs gas." She demanded.
I walked up to my mom as she handed me the cash. She stared at me in suspicion.
"Is everything okay?" My mom asked.
I nodded my head, tapping my right foot from impatience.
"Sit down." She stated, taking a seat for herself on the dining room table.
"We-"
She interrupted me. "Sit. Now."
I sat down on the chair near her, and made a face.
"What did you do to that poor girl yesterday?" She questioned. "She stormed off out of the house, and looked uncomfortable and confused."
"I kissed her." I stated bluntly.
"So?"
"She has a boyfriend."
"Esai!" My mom exasperated.
"I know I did wrong, but it'll all be alright."
"How are you going to make it right?" She asked.
"I'm gonna visit her, and speak to her about everything."
"Where does she live?" She asked.
"Why does it matter? She's not at her house."
"So you're meeting her up somewhere?"
"Yeah."
"Where?" She asked.
I exhaled, feeling more impatient. "The hospital."
"Why is she in the hospital?" My mom freaked.
"Can I go now?" I asked.
"Esai, speak to me!" She shouted.
I sighed. "Mom, I have to go see her." I stood up, feeling completely ashamed of myself for ignoring what she wanted me to tell her. I stood up with the keys and money in my hand, and the my phone in the other. I stepped out of the house, into the jeep, and drove away. I wanted to slap myself, my dad has done this to my mom one time too many. And now I was doing it. Ignoring the negative energy, I played Pink Floyd loudly and all of my thoughts went away. Focusing only on the road. I got to the gas station, and my stomach growled.
"Damn... I hope I have money in my pocket." I whispered to myself. I reached into my right pocket and felt something. Taking it out, I smiled. It was a five dollar bill.
Getting out of the vehicle, I walked up to the food section and grabbed a breakfast taco with a water, and then payed for the gas and items. After pumping gas, I finally drove away, but my eyes were heavy. I wanted to sleep so bad. I checked the time, and it was 8:45 a.m. I drove for a while longer, and finally reached the hospital Jorge had told me she was staying at. Before heading up, I decided to eat my taco after hearing my stomach growl once more. I turned the jeep off, but left the music playing. "Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd" was playing, and I lowered a window slightly. The taco was a bit warm, but delicious nonetheless. I had finished my taco and half of the water, and decided to rest a little by taking a short nap. My eyes then closed.
[Dream] :
"Do you, Savannah, take this man to be your..."
The words faded, as I stared into the eyes of Savannah. We were holding hands, and she was wearing a long white dress.
"I do." She smiled.
"By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."
I leaned in and before we could kiss, someone ran through the doors. It seemed to be her ex boyfriend Joel.
"Stop!" He shouted.
"Someone get him out of here!" One of the bridesmaid shouted.
The next thing I know, I'm being dragged out by security, and I look at the bride and groom. It's Joel & Savannah. Savannah looked disappointed, and the best man (Jorge) looked ashamed. From the corner of my left eye, something was flying at my direction.
[End of dream]
I awoke and looked around.
"What the hell..." I breathed.
Someone was tapping on the window to my left, and I attempted to lower it but it seemed that the car ran out of battery so I opened the door.
"Yes?" I asked.
"Are you alright, son?" The man asked.
I nodded. "Just fell asleep."
"You're sweating like a dripping towel." He commented. "Do you need any help?"
"My car needs a jump start, do you have any cables?" I asked, and then realized he had a son with him, about age 13.
"Hi." I waved, wiping the sweat off of my forehead.
"Yes." The guy replied, and the looked at his son. "Michael, get the cables from the back." The kid left, and then the man glanced at me. "You seemed to be in there for a while."
"No..." I shook my head and grabbed my phone. 1:54 p.m. My eyes widened, but relaxed as I tried not the alarm the man as too how long I had been in there. I grabbed the water bottle and chugged it, my throat was completely dry.
The man jump started the car, and as I thanked him, my eyes began to close again and I leaned against the jeep, taking deep breaths.
"Are you sure you don't need any help?" The man wondered.
"No." I dropped my body to the ground, placing my hands on my head. "I just have a bad headache. I need to visit someone here."
"Can-"
"No." I exclaimed and then stood. "I apologize, but no thank you. You've helped me enough."
I grabbed the keys and locked in then slowly walked into the hospital, not turning back. I found the nearest bathroom and walked in and washed my face with warm water. Feeling more awake than before. After fixing myself a bit, I then headed to the front desk, and asked if there were any visitors in room 323 for Savannah. The lady replied that those visiting had just left.
"Can I visit her?" I asked.
"Sign your name and relationship to the patient." She answered.
I filled in the information and she handed me a tag that said visitor. I got into the elevator and pressed the button for third floor.
The elevator doors opened, and I walked straight for a while, then took a right and found her door on the left.
I knocked on the door as it slowly opened.
"Come in." I heard Savannah state.
I walked in and finally met eyes with her.
"Esai?" She asked.
I nodded with a weak smile. "How are you feeling?"
She shrugged her shoulders, and gestured for me to sit on the chair.
There was a blanket and a couple of pillows with some snack wrappers lying around.
"I see you're making yourself comfortable." I noted.
"Well, the doctor hasn't decided how long I'll have to stay here." She answered, looking down. "Why did you come visit me?"
I paused, swallowing the saliva that was building up. She looked up at me, but I looked away.
/Should I do it? She's everything I want, but I also thought of that for the past girls.../
"Esai?" She asked.
"I wanted to see how you were doing. The others didn't know we would talk on a daily basis, so they didn't let me in on much about what had happened to you."
"How did you find me?" She asked.
"Jorge gave me the information." I replied.
She nodded. "Did you know about me and Joel being a thing?"
I looked away, it was like I couldn't last one day without hearing about him ever since he asked her out.
"How were you two a thing if you and I are together?" I replied.
"What?" She whispered.